Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complete Deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.

astracom

Technical User
Dec 21, 2003
GB
Hi, I have just got a desktop pc from a friend and want to clean it up. It has Xp loaded and and want to delete it and the entire hard disk in its entirety. How can I do this?
Thanks

Astracom,

That depends on what you want to do with it next. If you delete the entire harddisk, you'll have to install an Operating System again. If you want to re-install Windows XP, all you have to do is boot from the install CD and in the beginning of the installation process it will ask you what to do with the current lay-out of the disk.

There's a couple of way's you can do this.

1) remove the hard drive then install it as a slave in a second pc. then format it through windows.

or

2) you can get a utitlty like 'maxllf' ( maxtor low level format) which runs in dos and this will wipe it clean ( but it will take a long time if it's a big hard drive).

Personally i would use maxllf

Hope this help's
Lordbertie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back