Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compiling, Who Knows How To Complile Perl? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlkid

Programmer
Mar 9, 2000
US

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone out there know how to compile perl into a binary format, like c++ is?

Thanks Much,

Tony [sig][/sig]

If you are using a Windows OS, goto and download their Perl Development Kit 2.0.
There is a way to convert perl files into executables (dependent or free-standing). I think the file name is PerlApp.pl (Usage is pathtoperlapp\PerlApp.pl -w Filename.pl -e ExecutableName.exe -d [for dependant] OR -f [for free-standing].

I think you will have to purchase a license to convert perl files into free-standing files.

Have Fun.

Thanks mate,

Cool Name, he he.

I'm on linux though, sorry I forgot to mention that. Do you know how to do it on linux/unix type servers?

Thanks,

perlkid [sig]<p>Tony<br><a href=mailto:tony@seeki.com>tony@seeki.com</a><br>Experienced In: Perl, JavaScript, C++, PHP<br>
Want More Experience In: Pascal, Python, PHP More C++[/sig]

Write a compiler if you can't find one. It'd be a fun project. If you know Perl and ASM, it should be rather easy. No more than about two or three hundred hours work ;)

If you want a quicker solution though, I know that there is a free Perl compiler already written, though I haven't used it and don't know where it is. Try perl.com or perl.org. [sig]<p> Sincerely,<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Anderson</a><br>CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.<br>
[/sig]

Actually, there is a Perl to C compiler out there (since Perl was written in C, this is an easy conversion). If you can find that, just convert to C, then compile it. [sig]<p> Sincerely,<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Anderson</a><br>CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.<br>
[/sig]

Thanks Mate, You have been very helpfull, Oh yea, and you got my vote :)

I just don't know enough darn c though. I know perl really well, but I picked up on c because I know so much perl, never really had the chance to get more programming expirience with it since work always got it the way.

Thanks Though, maybe in a few years I'll make one. You really stuck that one in my head though, now I want to make one. :)

perlkid [sig]<p>Tony<br><a href=mailto:tony@seeki.com>tony@seeki.com</a><br>Experienced In: Perl, JavaScript, C++, PHP<br>
Want More Experience In: Pascal, Python, PHP More C++[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back