Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compiling using a batch program

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenr

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
GB
Is it possible to do a compile of a progress program using a batch file? this would then allow it to run over night without any user interaction

I'm not sure you know it, but I think you're actually asking several questions. Yes, you can compile one or more procedures with a batch-mode Progress session. Some operating systems (Unix, for example) accomplish this easier than others.

At the most basic level, you need a script to start the Progress session and a procedure to run that includes the compile statement(s). How complex it gets from there depends on your particular requirements.

Please provide a little more detail so we can give you a more specific answer...

Thanks,
sshowers

Apologies for the question, i'm new to this.

What script do I need to start the session? and also the compile?

What I have is an area with .p & .w files in and I need to be able to compile this every week, it would be easier for me to do this via some sort of batch job. (that way i wont forget)

More detail =
Version of Progress?
Operating System?

You will need to know:
where the code to compile is located.
where the compiled code is to go.
where and which databases are needed.

I hope you want to know whether you can compile programs using a .bat file. If it is the case ... you can do it as follows.

Create a PROGRESS program as follows.

compile <file_name> save <other_options>.

compile <file_name_with path> save <other_options>.

quit.

------
save this program as compile.p.
compile this program and create the r-code (compile.r).

now you can create a .bat file in the following way
----
<PROGRESS_INST_PATH>\BIN\PROWIN32.EXE -p compile.r

----

This would help. If you need anything please contact me.

W. H. Samantha Soysa.
ss@kingslake.com/whssoysa@sltnet.lk

Don't know how often the source is updated but you may want to periodically create a batch process to list the contents of your source director(y/ies)and run your compile prog (a la samanthSL's suggestion) against this list. Build your prog list in ranges and run concurrent batch process if you've lots to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back