Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compiling Triggers in sql*plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro88o

Programmer
Jun 25, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to create and compile some triggers in sql*plus but I think I've been given incorrect information on how to compile them. I type EDIT insert_derive_duration and an editor came up which I used to create the following:
Code:
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER insert_derive_duration
AFTER INSERT
OF date_to, date_from
ON contractinfo
FOR EACH ROW
DECLARE
totalDuration NUMBER := 0;
BEGIN
  totalDuration := date_to - date_from;
  DBMS-OUTPUT.PUTLINE(totalDuration);
END;
Now when I have saved (as insert_derive_duration.sql) I'm currently doing @insert_derive_duration and expected to receive the message Trigger created but instead it does nothing. Does anyone know how I go about compiling and running my trigger please ?

Thanks in advance.

Include a slash (/) at the end of your script, followed by blank line.

It didn't work :(

Any other ideas ?

I've spotted you have an error in your script.

Code:
 DBMS[COLOR=red]_[/color]OUTPUT.PUT[COLOR=red]_[/color]LINE(totalDuration);
If you type L after you have run the script, what is in the SQL buffer? Also type SHOW ERROR to see what errors occurred when you compiled.

If you type L after you have run the script, what is in the SQL buffer? Also type SHOW ERROR to see what errors occurred when you compiled.
I can't even get that far :( When I type @[trigger name] to compile it doesn't actually do anything, I can carry on typing and/or pressing return and I have to do Ctrl+C and then return to get back to the SQL> prompt.

I think, in SQL*Plus, you need to have an otherwise blank line at the end of your script with a / in it. Like this:
Code:
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER insert_derive_duration
AFTER INSERT
OF date_to, date_from
ON contractinfo
FOR EACH ROW
DECLARE
totalDuration NUMBER := 0;
BEGIN
  totalDuration := date_to - date_from;
  DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(totalDuration);
END;
[red]/[/red]
It tells SQL*Plus to come out of entry mode and execute whatever you've been typing (or getting from a file).

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back