Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compiler won't end the build

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmay3141

Programmer
Dec 3, 2002
US
I'm having a strange problem with my compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Standard. Sometimes after I hit F7 build a program, it compiles it and gives me any errors, but it doesn't exit the build. I mean, it is done with trying to do it, but somehow it forgets. I press the Stop Build button, and nothing happens. It won't let me rebuild or run the program either, so I have to close and restart the compiler. It won't even let me do this, though, and I get a message saying I can't close the workspace while a build is in progress, and to end the build, which I can't do. So I have to Control+Alt+Delete it whenever this happens. I looked at Microsoft's homepage to try to get some help, but it doesn't even mention 6.0, only .NET. I tried reinstalling the compiler, which didn't work either. Anyone know how to fix this?

I have a similar problem: when Visual C++ is creating a new help file at compile time because I changed the resources, it just hangs, like you describe. In my case, I found that my Norton AntiVirus program is the culprit. I have to disable the "File system realtime protection" to prevent Visual C++ to hang.

I hope this helps,

Vincent

It can be something crazy inside your code.
For example a global array with a preset size of 10MB will
make your *.exe file at least 10MB. So if there is any statement hidden in your code that makes the *.exe 4GB the compiler may get stuck in doing so. (this is what happened to me once =)

Have you figured this one out yet tim? I'm using 6.0 also (and I have for a number of years) and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. Can't seem to get to the bottom of it; it's a real pain -- and really, truly weird, because it's never happened before.

I have found that it appears to work sporadically, but that is the exception. The symptoms you described are EXACTLY what I'm dealing with here (Ctrl-Alt-Del is the only way out).

My only theory right now is that it could be instabilities originating with the power supply. I recently upgraded to 3 monitors over two graphics cards, and I wonder if the extra power hit could be affecting system stability.

Please let me know if you've found a cure!

Im new to VC++ and im also getting this sometimes.I have to logoff and login again to close it.Im using 6.0 too.This is a weird problem.

I'm having this problems too. running win2k. disabled norton av and its still happening. downloading service pack 5 now, hope this fixes it. used to run this same copy of visual c++ on win98 and never had this problem.

>used to run this same copy of visual c++ on win98 and never had this problem.

Being on a sinking ship but manage to drink your coffee wihout spilling is usually not much of a gain.

/Per
[sub]
if (typos) cout << &quot;My fingers are faster than my brain. Sorry for the typos.&quot;;
[/sub]

hmmmm well not exactly sure what the previous poster's reference was all about but......i ran service pack 5 and it fixed the problem. was about 110mb download from microsoft though.

It was about win98 being a terrible platform :p

/Per
[sub]
if (typos) cout << &quot;My fingers are faster than my brain. Sorry for the typos.&quot;;
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back