Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compiler memory requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

enriqcore

Technical User
Apr 26, 2002
AR
Hello,
I want to learn Java. I want to install the best compiler for an Intel Pentium 2 Processor with 128 MB of RAM memory. What compiler do you think is suitable for me? I would like a compiler that is not slow and the later version as possible.
Thanks in advance
enriqcore

Since you stated that you don't know java at the moment,you will need to learn the infrastructure the applets.The first can be IBM's Visual Age For Java.
In fact Visual Age's apperance may be difficult,but when you read the redbooks of IBM you will like it and will be able to develop yourself rapidly. Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
openyourmind77@yahoo.com

Since you stated that you don't know java at the moment,you will need to learn the infrastructure of the applets.The first can be IBM's Visual Age For Java.
In fact Visual Age's apperance may be difficult,but when you read the redbooks of IBM you will like it and will be able to develop yourself rapidly. Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
openyourmind77@yahoo.com

I replied to your thread in the other forum as well (you really shouldn't double-post). I agree with Hattusas in saying that you should start with a Visual IDE. Another option is Sun's Visual IDE (Formerly called Forte - I think its 'One' now). This will take a little while to load up on a P2, but its free. The compilation speed of the default compiler is more than adequate.

However, I do recommend that at some point you try using javac directly. This requires command line arguments, but it helps you develop a firm grasp on Java. Personally, I use JCreatorLE. Not too many bells and whistles, but I think its a happy medium between a text editor and a bulky Visual IDE. Besides, once you get the hang of things, you might want to manually code all of your GUIs.

My philosophy: Try to stay away from anything to could be platform-dependant (M$) when using Java. It defeats the purpose.

Thats just my $.02 [morning] HavaTheJut

I couldn't disagree more with the suggestion to learn how to program using an IDE. Visual development tools like Forte and Visual age help veteran programmers be more productive but they are totally inappropriate for someone that is just learning the language. They do too much of the work for you--work that you need to understand as a fledgling developer.

Stick with the JDK or another compiler such as jikes and learn to use a good text editor that has syntax highlighting such as vi or emacs. This will force you to become familiar with the Java API's which is critical if you want to be a Java developer. There is no better way to learn to do GUI development than to hand code all of the components. Once you are an accomplished coder then you can use a drag and drop IDE that generates the code for you. You will learn nothing if the editor writes most of the event handling and component initialization code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back