Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compiled on XP, Installed on NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dareseka

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
US
Maybe someone can help me 'undo' what I've 'done'.
I've created a VB6 application and compiled it in Windows XP. The application was installed on a number stations with different platforms, including Windows NT 4.0.
Usually you don't have many compatibility issues when installing newer components/dll’s to an earlier platform (that a service pack couldn’t fix); however, that doesn’t seem to be the case with XP!
The problem I’ve run in to is that the Package and Deployment Wizard included later version dll files in the package. This caused a few programs, such as IE 5.0 (which had already existed on the client), not to work properly. Using service packs and also including the proper version dll files in the package, I was able to restore all of the original version files accept one… OLEPRO32.DLL (XP, version 5.0.5014.0).
Apparently, this file can not be replaced once it has been upgraded – I’m assuming that this is because it is being accessed while Windows is operating.
I’ve tried replacing the file in DOS mode and registering it using REGSVR; I’ve tried installing a service pack that contained the previous version; I’ve tried… well pretty much everything I could think of, but none of these seem to work.
Can anyone help me?

dareseka

I am not sure if this is possible in your case but here goes. I had a similar situation and I worked around it by installing the OS as second time so I could dual boot. I then just copied the problem dll as needed and then un-installed the second OS. I really think I was more lucky than good with that but....

Good Luck. If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

THANKS for the suggestion... and the QUICK RESPONSE! I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know if it works for me too.

[thumbsup2]

I would boot from the NT disk and run the repair before doing anything else. I had a similar problem and this fixed it.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back