Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compile TightVNC on AIX 4.3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesps

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
CA
Hello everyone,

I am trying to compile from sources TightVNC 1.2.9. The problem so far is that "make" tells me that I am missing some files in:

.../X11/Xmu/StdSel.h
.../X11/Xmu/Converters.h
and
../X11/Xaw/Viewport.h
../X11/Xaw/Dialog.h
../X11/Xaw/Form.h
../X11/Xaw/Toggle.h
../X11/Xaw/Command.h
etc.
I did search all the filesets on my 3 AIX CDs but was not able to find them so far. Also I have noticed that there are not too many posts about compiling/using TightVNC on AIX on the Net.

Does anybody know what are these folders? Where can I get the required packages? Any advice would be greately appreciated. Thanks in advance!

James

No, I was not able to find it as a fileset on my AIX CDs so far. I think I found a few files I needed in the X11.samples fileset though.
Is there a way to search on a certain file and find which fileset belongs to?
I am missing "cc_r" now...

Thanks!
James.

which_fileset will show you which fileset a file belongs to but the file has to exist.
which_fileset /usr/bin/ls
/usr/bin/ls bos.rte.commands 4.3.3.0

Have you installed the C compiler (cc_r)?

Xaw is the Athena Widget set and I don't think you would find it on your AIX CDs (but I could be wrong).

Which I believe it's the C compiler's alias. Where can I get the IBM's standard C compiler, in which fileset? I have GNU gcc-2.95, would it be ok to use it?

I'm a newbie in AIX world with a linux background, thank you in advance for any advice and reply!

James.

I believe the cc_r is the thread-safe standard compiler and is a link that comes with the IBM C compiler (I can't check because I forgot my password on my control workstation and I don't want to walk to the datacenter right now to fix my login).

You should be able to use any C compiler, and the one that comes with the IBM Linux toolkit (or whatever it's called) that has the gcc compiler will work on AIX. The C compiler from IBM you have to purchase though.

I did not know about that. Thank you for clearing this to me, I will try using the GNU gcc.

James

Bad luck again. The gcc-2.95.3.0 I have needs bos.rte.bind_cmds 4.3.2.2 and my oslevel is 4.3.2.0 :(
Is there a way to force the installation? I am using smit. Maybe something similar with rpm's "--nodeps" parameter?
Please help.

James.

I have finally installed everything I need (I think). The compilation process starts and the first step goes ok, I've got the libvncauth and all the binaries compiled OK but the Xvnc which gives me a lot of errors.
I am using gcc-2.95.3.0 aliased for cc_r and xlc_r, is that ok? Should I try another compiler? Is xlc, xlc_r available for download somewhere or is it only under license from IBM?
I would appreciate any advice from an experienced AIX user, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back