Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compile multiple items from text box into update query

Status
Not open for further replies.

efiftythree

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
I need to build a query from a list of items in a text box. The text box will contain around 40 items most of the time. I have created a form with the necessary objects such as a text box for the item list and a text box for the date. Basically what the query needs to do (as you can see below) is to set a target date for each of the items in the text box list.

User List Text Box = txtDateUser
Date Text Box = txtDate
Button = btnDateExecute

e29251
e20275
e10158

Private Sub btnDateExecute_Click()

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE MigrationData SET MigrationData.TargetDate = [Forms]![UpdateForm]![txtDate] WHERE (((MigrationData.UserID)="e29251")) OR (((MigrationData.UserID)="e20275")) OR (((MigrationData.UserID)="e10158"));"

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

End Sub

What I need help with is taking the information that is pasted into the text box and compiling it into a usable piece of the query.. the (((MigrationData.UserID)="e29251")) OR parts.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

What you need is IN.

TextBox: "e29251","e20275"

[tt]strSQL=StrSQL & "Where MigrationData.UserID IN (" & Me.TextBox & ")"[/tt]

This is much easier with a listbox: thread702-1390952

I would do something like this:

Code:
Private Sub btnDateExecute_Click()

Dim infoString as String

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

infoString = "'" & Replace(txtDateUser,vbCrLf,"', '") & "'"

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE MigrationData SET MigrationData.TargetDate = [Forms]![UpdateForm]![txtDate] WHERE (MigrationData.UserID IN (" & infoString & "));"

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

End Sub

I'm not entirely sure if the Replace will work correctly on the carriage returns, but it's worth a shot.

-V

Hey! That worked great! Many thanks to both of you especially VRoscioli!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back