Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Competing with the global market 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponetguy2

MIS
Aug 28, 2002
US
My company released a memo informing us that our jobs might or will be shipped overseas. I'm a UNIX System Admin for a financial company, and my job is one of them. I'm sick and tired of hearing this. I think it's time for a career change. Maybe in health care.

Competing with techies overseas is impossible to beat. They have the same or better skill set and will work for a lot less money than me or my pears. The only thing I have over them is people skills and a better understanding of American English.

Please provide your take on this rant. I'm frustrated and scared for the future. I have a family to support and I need to figure out a plan B.

"Not all OSs suck, it's just that some OSs suck worse than others"

We had a town hall meeting last week and the big dog pretty much told us the deal. He said he does not see our data center lasting longer than five years. So, he advised us to start sharpening our skills and take advantage of our training and certification programs.

I recently finished our Veritas Storage Foundation training and I'm scheduled for Sun Cluster training next week. I'm also in the process on studying for Solaris 10 cert. Once I complete this goal, I'll need to figure out what other cert I need to take.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and opinions. I'll consider everyone's suggestions and opinions. Cheers!!!

Out of curiosity, what geographic area are you in? Unix admins are in demand in a lot of areas.

Chicago

You might take a look at a TIA/EIA training course and get some cabling experience under your belt. While it doesn't pay as well as UNIX admin, you can still make a good living. The main upside is that you can't outsource your cabling needs overseas. In Illinois you may have to get a low-voltage electrician's license as well to work as a contractor.

Most areas, including IL do not require an electrician to run low voltage (phone/data) cabling, unless things have changed that I am not aware of. Although, if you ask an electrician, they will say you need one.

I do take cabling work on ocasion to bring in revenue. I hire strictly laborers to pull the wire in under my direction. I then do all the terminating of the cable, and jacking.

Hi aarenot,

I'm just woundering, how did you find clients in terms of counsalting job. Do you know any web sities I can use?or any freelancing web sities or where I could place a bid for the projects?

Best Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back