Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compensation for on Call 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I'm trying to justify with my Employer that we are not compensated sufficiently for being on call for a week at a time.

For any of you that might take on call shifts, if you can share what you get, I'd love to hear of it.

I'll start.

We get $160.00 CDN. We are paid by the hour over and above if we get called out.

Depends on business size, if hourly or salary and any agreement at hiring time and the average amount of calls after hours.

"over and above if we get called out"

Without knowing what that means or how much more it's hard to say if $160.00 is enough.
I would say half days pay would suffice for just being on call, plus your overtime for the calls.

It is sort of like a security guard patrolling the place several time just waiting for something to happen but you are at home or doing your thing or out and about but alert with the chance you might get 1 to 3 calls during the week.

I have been on call 24/7 for 20 years straight combined with SPOC/Cygnal/Williams/TelcoPC and not a dime paid on top of the overtime for the call.

So based on my first sentence and the difference between you and a security guard you could probably come out with an average that might please the business and yourself.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

When I was on call I got an extra day off for every week on call. Eventually went to an extra days pay for a week on call. Nothing extra for going out to a site. Add a day for a Holiday.

Salary takes care of that rather nicely. I do get compensated rather well, though. :D

I know our IT guys, which are hourly, get paid a minimum of 2 hours when they get a call while they're on call. Of course, their on-call could be a string of calls all night long for password resets and other trivia. [flush]

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

we get 4 hours of pay for a call out even if it only takes 5 minutes to resolve the issue

you all get it too easy, I get £45 (60$) per week for oncall, if I get a call I get time and a half from start of call until resolution

Calum M
ACSS

I get $145.00/wk to carry the company cell. Time and a half for a call out, Double time on Sunday and holidays, 4 hour minimum.

Marv ccna

I will be watching this. I have been on call 24/7 for 12 years. Just now trying to hire full time and wondering what to pay for on call, especially since it is quite unlikely to receive calls between 5pm and 7am or on weekends, (I get called out about once a month after hours). I would think if calls are rare and you sit at home with the wife all night, on call would be gravy, if you like to party and go out of town being on call would be a hassle.

100 per week
Time spent on the call is extra

I stopped being on call though.
I am dedicated and don't sleep well when on call because I don't want to miss a call. That was not good for my mood during the 2 week period I was on call at a time.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Remembering intrigrant 2019

having worked for myself for the last 20 years, I don't get paid on-call either. But I have managed to adjust most stuff to be handled during normal work times.

Previously I worked for a company where we rotated on call about 1 week out of every 3 months. We got paid 4 hours overtime for the week, and time and half for any on call service calls. We were a decent size company, so on average we got called out 3-4 times in the week. So once every 3 months wasn't bad.

an hour straight time per day and then time and a half for any time worked

You guys get paid for being on call? o_O

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Kinda weird situations,firstly heard about this,wanna find more details

gbaughma - why are you confused?

DownSh1ft - find more details about what?

CMUK - I would disagree, first off as posted some of us do not even get what you do and secondly all techs should be compensated properly for putting personal time on hold for that duration.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Last 2 companies I have worked for give $200 US for the week and then any calls longer than 5 minutes were at time and a half at 15 minute intervals.
Mike

Curlycord:
I wasn't confused.. I was being sarcastic.

Historically, I've either been on call all the time, as part of my "job description", or when I did work for a telco, I was on a rotating call (about every 5 weeks, on call for the week) once again, as part of the job description.

I don't remember a time that I was compensated for being on call, other than comp time if, say, I had to put in a lot of hours and so I got an extra day off (when I wasn't on call).

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

in UK..
For current employer, get a standby allowance (different for weekdays and weekends) + overtime and mileage if need to go to site.
Previous employer, got a standby allowance (different for weekdays and weekends) but with a fixed amount per call, irrespective if it was 5 minutes or 5 hours. (To prevent people taking the p1$$ over time spent on incidents).

Back in the 1990's I worked with an interconnect that paid $50 for the week you were on call and time spent on emergency service calls. The problem is the company would service any system whether they knew it or not: All the variations of Nortel, AT&T, Comdial, Iwatsu, TIE, Panasonic, Inter-Tel, NEC, Macro-Tel, Sun-Moon-Star, Nitsuko, Norstar, Nortel, Samsung, Toshiba...you get the idea.

Kind of like a hooker, anywhere anytime as long as you say you have money. (pager days, no cell phones)

Biggest problem is they kept hiring workers that would say "I'm only certified on Nitsuko. I don't know anything else so I can be on call" So out of 8 tech's and a "supervisor" tech, only the supervisor tech and myself were the only ones on call. Until the company decided that he lived too far away (30 miles) from our local service area. You can see where this is going. A couple times they did have an extra tech that was willing to be on call

On Fridays when the office forwarded the phones to the Answering Service they were suppose to tell them who the on call tech was...oops always forgot. I would be on call for months at a time.

SIDE NOTE: I had accumulated too much vacation time and the company demanded I started taking time off. My wife worked Tuesdays through Fridays so I let the company know that I would be taking every Monday off. After the first week they informed me that I was not allowed to do that because they needed me.

When I quit they had to pay me for my 168 hours accumulated vacation pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back