Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatibility Problem B/w VB5 And Vb6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austino

Programmer
Apr 27, 1999
US
I developed a package in VB5.When I install Vb 6 on the same machine and rebuild tha app on Vb5,the application will fail to run giving VBAjet322.dll fail to initialize<br>
<br>
When I remove VB6 and try it ,it will work.Does it mean I should not have both on the same system.

I would guess that 5 & 6 use different versions of VBAjet322.dll. (pointing out the obvious there...)<br>
<br>
You might try this.<br>
<br>
1) move the vb5 version somewhere safe<br>
2) install vb6<br>
3) fire up vb5 and your project - and make sure it refers to your "somewhere safe" version of the .dll<br>
<br>
That *might* work. It's not the only thing that breaks when you install vb6 on a vb5 machine - it also stuffs the help files and then doesn't put them back the way they were when you un-install....<br>
<br>
Mike<br>

What you might have to do is force each version to install their dlls in separate directories, then write a batch file which registers the appropriate set depending on which version of VB you want to run. <br>
<br>
<br>
We've had similar problems with a different program, and I now have a pair of batch files on my machine to register the appropriate dlls using REGSVR32<br>
<br>
something like <br>
<br>
c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32 c:\windows\system\vb5\yourfile.dll<br>
<br>
Just a thought,<br>
<br>
Keith.

See my response to Bishop72 in the "Creating Setup Files" thread.<br>
<br>
Chip H.<br>

Status