Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatibility 97 and 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
US
The company I work for has some computers using Access 97 and some using Access 2002 in XP Professional. The computer I'm using is an XP with Access 2002. Upgrading everyone to 2002 is not an option. Can Access 97 be installed on the XP machines so that everyone uses that version? Is that the best way to solve this compatibility issue?

Yes, access 97 can be installed on the XP machines you will of course loose the benefit of the improvements made since 97 but it wont affect the way it runs on XP.

but access 2002 can also work with access 97 db's Christiaan Baes
Belgium
"What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

Not sure if I understand how. If I design a database in 2002, can the 97 users use it? I thought that if I open a 97 database in 2002 it automatically converts it and makes it forever unusable to the 97 users. I'm obviously confused.

access 2002 will ask the first time if it needs to convert just say no and it wont ask it again. developping you would better do in 97 just to avoid problems but you can install both together. Christiaan Baes
Belgium
"What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

We have a same setup where I work - all but one running '97, the last one with 2002. With Access 2002 all you have to do is open the file without converting it and you'll be fine.

If you convert the file to 2000 or 2002 format, Access '97 can no longer open that file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back