Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing strings and other data types

Status
Not open for further replies.

glgcag

MIS
Apr 25, 2001
US
I was wondering if someone could give me a little guidance on how best to compare strings, other data types and test for nulls or empty strings.

I am using the .tag property of controls to store "pre-edited" data and then checking for any changes upon exit/submit/save and inserting the edits into the table. For some reason I have yet to absorb a rule of thumb for the comparing and I thought someone might be able to direct me.

For example, in the case that a field is not required, it may be blank. How best should I trap for null values or empty strings? Nz(fieldname, "") compared to Nz(fieldsname.tag, "")?

When it comes to ANY field I'm comparing I simply write:
Code:
If fieldname <> fieldname.tag then
    'insert the edit into the proper table
End If
Is there a better way to compare strings and other data types (longs, integers, boolean) that is better, or is this OK?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

see strcomp function.
If Trim(myfield & "") = "" is another way
NZ is great as well

If this is a bound control look at the dirty and oldvalue property instead of storing as a tag

if me.dirty then
insert into foobar(myfield) values (field.oldvalue)
end if

All the programming I do is unbound for maximum flexibility. (I really like the ease of using the dirty property, though, I just wish there was something like it for unbound fields.)

So, using Trim handles null values as well as nz then? I do use "if nz(fieldname, "") = "" then action" often, and generally, I don't have any problems. But have you run into the case that the value in the field is " "? In which case trimming it like you did above might be better . . .

glgcag,
Have you looked at [tt]StrComp()[/tt]?
Code:
If [b]StrComp([/b]fieldname[b],[/b] fieldname.Tag[b], vbBinaryCompare)[/b] <> 1 then
    'insert the edit into the proper table
End If

CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

CautionMP,

Thanks for the tip, I really like this function! I've been testing it with two fields and according to the help on the strCompare function, if it returns 0, then there hasn't been a change. Should I use it such as:
Code:
 If StrComp(Fieldname, Fieldname.Tag, vbBinaryCompare) <> 0 then
    If not isnull(StrComp(Fieldname, Fieldname.Tag, vbBinaryCompare)
        'insert edit into table
    End if 
End if
In other words, if there IS a change between the two values, check to make sure one or both aren't null, then insert the edit. Does that make sense or am I going overboard?

How are ya glgcag . . .

glgcag said:
[blue] . . . Does that make sense or am I going overboard?[/blue]
Yeah . . . a bit overboard . . .

Consider there are only two types of string comparison in access:
[ol][li][blue]Binary[/blue] (case sensitive)[/li]
[li][blue]Text[/blue] ( non-case sensitive & default in access).[/li][/ol]
Code:
[blue]   [purple][b]abcd = aBCd[/b][/purple] fails for binary, passes for text.
   [purple][b]aBCd = aBCd[/b][/purple] passes for both.
   [purple][b]abcd = abcd[/b][/purple] passes for both.[/blue]
So whats the story on all these options if there's only two comparsion modes? . . . if you look at the options for the [blue]Option Compare Statement[/blue] which usually appears at the top of any module and the last three values you can use for the [blue]compare arguement of StrComp[/blue], you'll find there one and the same:

[tt][blue]OptionCompareStatement > Binary Text Database
StrComp(,, compare) > vbBinaryCompare vbTextCompare vbDatabaseCompare[/blue][/tt]

[blue]With Database defaulting to text![/blue]

There's one more compare value for StrComp to consider and thats [blue]vbUseCompareOption[/blue] which is self explanatory and uses the setting of the [blue]Option Compare Statement[/blue] in the module where the code is currently running.

That pretty much narrows it down:
TheAceMan1 said:
[blue]Unless you need your comparsion to be case sensitive there's no difference between using a logical comparsion (If String1 = String2 Then) and StrComp.[/blue]
A logical incite to this is to leave the Text default intact and use StrComp whenever you need binary.

As for your last post my read would be:
Code:
[blue]   If Trim(Me!Name1 & "") = "" Then
      MsgBox "Data required"
   ElseIf Me!Name1 <> Me!Name1.Tag Then
      [green]'insert edit into table[/green]
   End If[/blue]
[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

That straightens it out for me! Thanks!

Status