Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing phaser 8500 and 8550 resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mits07

Technical User
Nov 5, 2007
GR
I am a happy owner of a Phaser 8500N since a year ago and I just got me a second hand 8550DP assuming I would get an increased resolution (2400 dpi instead of 1200).
The first thing I did when I got my hands on the 8550 was to try detecting any differences in the print quality. Printing some photographic images showed that the output of the two models is identical (I even used a magnifying glass).
Then I tried the target from as well as a target of my own, and it seems that the 8500 has higher resolution !!!.
I would be grateful if you could indicate a proper test procedure to estimate (or at least compare) the resolution of the printers.
(Please note that I am using windows XP x64 and that could cause problems if the driver has not been thoroughly tested by Xerox).
Thanks in advance!

did you enable it to print on the high resolution photo mode and make sure you use everything the same when testing this even still I doubt that it will make much of a difference they always boast these resolutions and they look exactly the same unless your going from 600 to 1200 on a photo theres not that big of a difference

All true. The file you downloaded may have been at the wrong res. Are you doing only single prints? Try a test run of five or more and check.Check the control panel for settings also.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

This sounds similar to when Xerox introduced the 8400 to replace the 860. Alot of customers were dissatisfied with the resolution of the 8400 compared to their older 860. I even ran tests with prints I had on both printers adjusting the color correction and resolution on both machines and teh 860 was consistenly better in the eyes of the customer. The only response I got from Our technical engineers was that these were 2 different engines and processor boards so you can not compare one to the other....duh!!! Didn't we already know that? Ultimately no answer was ever disseminated for the difference, I guess newer is only better in the eyes of the beholder.

Well newer is not better my friend. No significant improvement in print quality has been made since 1997. There is no physical 2400dpi. The math has changed. Now they calculate for blending of hues a interpolation of colors. Its nonsense to convince you to upgrade. You should have stuck with the 860 its the best printer ever made for digital office printing. Cost per print on Phaser 860 is 1/10 that that of every model after it. They eliminated free black for life program after the Phaser 860. I would recommend your next printer be a Refurbished Phaser 860. Eliminate 90% of your ink cost and get better quality prints.

Of course the Xerox stock holders will now say the new ones print 30 Pages per minute as oppose to Phaser 860s mere 16 Pages Per Minute. 98% of users don't need more than 4 Pages per minute. 16 Pages per minute is 960 Pages in an hour. Most users do less than 960 per month. Higher print speed is cool, however not when your setting me up to move from 4cents per full page photo to 40cents per photo. Those pennies add up quick. $40 per thousand full page flyers or $400 Come on! Does 4th quarter profits for Xerox need to be that high? Want 30+ Pages per minute buy 2 Phaser 860s. They run about $299 for refurbished units on the internet, check Amazon.com or do a Google search. Keep one Phaser 860 off until you really need that high volume. Not to mention a backup printer can be a lifesaver when main unit fails. Thats what I, and my clients do and we save Money!!

Good luck to you!

Any other questions send to printer_repair@itezen.com

------------------------------------------------
Printer Repair
printer_repair@itezen.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back