Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing NetBackup 4.5 for Windows and UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilKK

MIS
Oct 16, 2003
US
Hi,

With the introduction of 3 new Solaris server, we also take the opportunity to upgrade our backup/recovery systems.

We are trying to make a decision on the pro's and con's of having a Windows 2000 backup server or Unix backup server. Hopes that I can get some real production information on what we can expect in terms of backup and restore if we choose either of the platform, or is it better that we have 2 backup server. (currently we have BackupExec)

Environment:
7 Windows 2000 server and 3 Solaris (new)
IIS
Exchange 2000
Lotus Notes 5.0.10 (will phase out in 6-9 months)
2 x SQL 2000
2 x Domain Controller
1 x Oracle 8 on Windows 2000, 1 x Oracle 9 on Solaris

regards,
-april-

In my hunblest of opinions and I say that because I know that some may not agree ...
Use Windows 2000 as your master, far easier to upgrade for new patches etc, easier to administer, easier to troubleshoot but ... Always a but ...

Use Unix as the media server - Way, way better performance as it can handle larger buffers. DO NOT connect a tape drive to your master server, I did and removed it 2 years later due to far to many performance issues.

I just changed from Solaris to Win2000 and agree with the previous user and for his reasons and others.

1. users without knowledge of UNIX can perform tasks in my absense
2. The server remote administration software can be installed on any pc.
3. I personally have had much better luck on Windows with database agents (Exchange, etc) and media management.
4. Terminal services for managing.
5. Scripts can be written in minutes to send reports to those who occasionally request.

I have not had any performance issues using a single processor Compaq DL 320 with a Quantum ATL M-1800 with 1 SDLT 320 drive. Not a single issue in 6 months backing up 28 servers.

It is a hassle importing the catalog and trying to restore from tapes written with the Sun.

How about the backup and restore function and feature. Do I loss any support on our Exchange and SQL backup restore feature if we choose a Unix Backup Server rather than a Windows.

Visa-versa, if we selected the Windows, do we loss any feature and function support for Oracle which will eventually migrate to Unix platform?

I also agree, it works really well under Windows 2000.
For the same reasons that PGPhantom.

AprilKK,
The same features are available on UNIX, but getting them to work has been a headache for me. Now everytihng has been as simple as an install and it works. This solution works for me because I always have too much to do unrelated to backup. I have not yet tried backing up Oracle.

I still have not tried more than one tape drive in my library since upgrading and I suspect this may be where the performance issues arise.

You don't loose any feature (in both cases).
Performance will be very good as long as you use a powerfull enough server (depends on many things).

Manage to get the SI to give us a trial next week. We will set up some test server ourselve and do a small test ourselve using the Windows platform first.

Netbackup for Solaris is very easy to use and Tune. Performance due to buffer settings and kernel adjustments in Solaris allow the backup server to backup much faster than Windows. We have servers in my company that are using DLT8000 drives getting close to 30GB per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back