Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing Date and Strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReiley

MIS
Dec 10, 2004
US
How do I compare a date string in yyyymmdd format to the current date?

If you're using Pervasive.SQL 9.5, you can use the new scalar function DATEDIFF. Check out the scalar function docs in the SQL Engine Reference at
DATEADD, DATENAME, and DATEPART are also new, as well as a new datatype called DATETIME.

Linda
Pervasive Software

I am using 9.5. I am entering the following

select * from "adheader"
where DATEDIFF(day,LastInsertDate,Current_Date())>0

I get

[LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]Expression evaluation error.

2ndly, the LastInsertDate field is in yyyymmdd string format - no hypens. Is this going to work?

Thanks

You're going to need to convert (or mask) the field to a date so you can use data functions.
So your select should look like:
Code:
select * from "adheader"
  where DATEDIFF(day, convert(left(LastInsertDate,4) + '-' + substring(LastInsertDate,5,2) + '-' + right(LastInsertDate,2) , sql_date),Current_Date())>0

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Here is what I have in the sql statement"
L := form1.tbCLient.FieldByName('ClientNumber').asString;
form1.qAds.SQL.Clear;
form1.PvSQLSession1.ServerName := 'Btrieve';
form1.qAds.DatabaseName := 'LPV8OE';
form1.qAds.SQL.Add ('select clientnumber, pubnumber, adnumber,entryyear,regarding, lastinsertdate from adheader');
form1.qAds.SQL.Add (' where clientnumber = ' + quotedstr(L) + 'and');
form1.qAds.SQL.Add (' KBI<>' + quotedstr('Y') + 'and InvoiceNumber=' + quotedstr('') + 'and' );
form1.qAds.SQL.Add (' DateDiff(day,convert(left(LastInsertDate,4) + '-' + substring(LastInsertDate,5,2) + '-' + right(LastInsertDate,2), sql_date),Current_Date() )>0';
form1.qAds.SQL.Add ('order by pubnumber,entryyear,adnumber');
form1.qAds.SQL.Text;
form1.qAds.Open;

The problem is the compiler doesn't like the 2nd dash:
[Error] Client.pas(405): Operator not applicable to this operand type

Is there a line length limit and if so how do I continue on the next line? Thanks

You're getting that error because Delphi treats single quotes as the string delimiter. You need to escape the single quotes. It should look like:
Code:
  form1.qAds.SQL.Add ('  DateDiff(day,convert(left(LastInsertDate,4) + ''-'' + substring(LastInsertDate,5,2) + ''-'' + right(LastInsertDate,2), sql_date),Current_Date() )>0');
  form1.qAds.SQL.Add (' order by pubnumber,entryyear,adnumber');

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back