Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing Data in Pivot Tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzness

Programmer
May 2, 2003
US
All.

I am trying to compare data for three (3) pivot tables.
A table next to the pivots has been created to show any variance for each subjects total.

I have tried the SUMIF, VLookup & SUMProduct functions but cannot get any to give me a proper reconciliation.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanx.

"I have tried the SUMIF, VLookup & SUMProduct functions but cannot get any to give me a proper reconciliation."

EXACTLY what did you try that does nmot work.

You would make out alot better comparing data from the source data, rather than from a report.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

I used the following formula:

=IF(AND(SUMIF($A:$A,Q7,$D:$D),SUMIF($F:$F,Q7,$I:$I),SUMIF($K:$K,Q7,$N:$N)),0,"BREAK")

Also tried VLookup but was unsure how to make the formula "=" over three sets of data. I realize this formula does not make sense.
e.g.: =IF(VLOOKUP(Q6,A:D,4,FALSE), IF(VLOOKUP(Q6,F:I,4,FALSE), IF(VLOOKUP(Q6,K:N,4,FALSE),0,"BREAK")))

The three sources of data have different headers & formatting. Which is why I'd rather compare threee pivot tables vs. adjusting all the source data.

You have three SUMs ANDed.

???

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...

Should I remove the AND in the Sumif statement ?

I'm just trying to reconcile three sets of data.
For some reason it's much harder than it looks.

What do you mean by "reconcile"

Please post an example of the data you are "reconciling" and the desired result.

Skip,
[sub]

Skip,

Each colleague manages a portfolio. After running the pivot tables, the colleagues name is given next to the word Total (as all pivot tables do).
I am comparing/reconciling 3 pivot tables to each colleagues total based on 3 different sources of data.

So in an area away from the pivots, I am referencing the colleagues name to compare the data from each pivot.

Example:
If his/her total is 1,000 in all three pivots, then I would like my formula to show "0" as a variance. If the 3 pivots do not equal, then FALSE or another acceptable word will alert the user that the 3 sources of data are not in agreement.

Hopefully, this helps.

Your "example" is no example at all!
[tt]
=IF(AND(SUMIF($A:$A,Q7,$D:$D)=SUMIF($F:$F,Q7,$I:$I),SUMIF($A:$A,Q7,$D:$D)=SUMIF($K:$K,Q7,$N:$N)),0,"BREAK")
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

It sounds as though you want something like:
=IF(AND(total1=total2,total1=total3),"true","false")
where total1, total2 and total3 are the totals for a particular person from each pivot table. You could get those totals using a "GETPIVOTDATA" function (look at the help files).

Yes, I know my example is no good.
That's why I have asked my question.

I am here for guidance/help. Not confirmation of what I already know isn't working.

Did this revised formula do the trick?

Skip,
[sub]

Yes, your formula did the trick.

A holiday star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back