Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compare Corel Draw and Illustrator 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

viettla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
VN
Hi all,
I plan to study a vector graphics and a image-editing programs . Could you tell me which programs is best (Corel draw or Illustrator) and (Photo Paint or PhotoShop ) ? can you compare them ?
Thank in advance
Viet

Viet

>>>NO QUESTION...ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR IS FAR MORE STABLE!!
CORELDRAW IS PRONE TO CRASHES AND HANGS. ITS BEEN ONE OF THE WORST PROGRAMS I'VE EVER USED SINCE GOING DIGITAL IN 1987.<<<

It doesn't matter how good a program is with all of it's great features, if it locks up regularly, either switch programs or look at what's in your system startup for conflicts. Since THAT is probably the real root of the problem. I find it amazing how well an old computer will run with a freshly formatted hard disk.

As for Corel locking up more than Illustrator...
I've also used both programs since 1987 and since Corel version 8, on both Mac's and PC's. Both programs have given me my share of lockups, but at least with Corel I could recover the lost file due to it's every ten minute backup feature.

I've found that the number of crashes seems to depend on which version of Corel I used. Version 4 was very stable and perhaps that's why it was supported for so long. I Didn't care much for versions 5,6 & 7. Then along came version 8 which locked up rarely. I used ver 8 up until this year, again because it seemed more stable than Versions 9, 10 & 11. But now I've completely switched over to Corel version 12, as once again it seems very stable and almost never locks ups on my system. Could it be that Corel gets everything right every FOUR years?

Bottom line, if you prefer Illustrator, by all means use it. But boy when Corel gets it right, it's a GREAT program.

Windows XP
Service pack 2
1 Gb Ram

I would preface this reply with...

"Without prejudice."

Adobe products are notriously bug-frought in the area of conflicting with software that Adobe doesn't like. Like Corel software. Adobe is the likely culprit. Corel is the unwitting target. Good business? or Overly aggressive? Not likely measurable.

Adobe is great software. So is Corel. Compare prices. Compare learning curves. Use the right tool for the right job. vice-grip or socket? They both take the nut off my bike wheel. Im my mind, for the task, they are equal.

Daniel Dillon
o (<--- brain shown at actual size.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back