Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq T1500 Data (serial) Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

250LWB

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
I am trying to determine what, if anything, is unique about the cable required to connect my server to this Compaq UPS. My tech department brought the UPS out with the server, and no cable was supplied. I have tried a straight through serial cable, but when I connect it to the serial port on the server both the UPS and server immediately restart (ouch!)

The docs say nothing about the cable itself, other than to mention the part number. If it's nothing special I would prefer to buy something myself rather than toss the $$ at HP/Compaq.

TIA,

250LWB

Hi
I get the impression that the single comm. port on the back of the T1500VA model is purely for connection to an expansion card (which slots into the UPS at the back), and that you can't use it for just linking the UPS and 1 PC (I tried the same thing you did and got the same result).

I bought an expansion card for a fiver off eBay, and that came with a load of cables that connect the card with the PC's - I think those ones are normal serial cables, but don't quote me on that.

TJ

This is a "special cable" grey in color. It is called a UPS communication cable that is very expensive and can be ordered online from several companies, just google this and compaq ups. It is grey colored and the wiring is different from a serial or null cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back