Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compaq smart start question / NT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

James529

MIS
Feb 21, 2002
US
Lenghy question:

I have a Compaq refurbished 5500r with 1280 mb memory that I picked up for $500. I want to set up with NT 4.0 and use this server in my business, networking it to my desktop pc (running XP) and laptop (win98) for starters (I bought a D-Link 10/100 5 port switch and some cat 5 cables). I think I want to set this server up as a PDC with DHCP, does this sound appropriate?).

I know nothing about setting up a server.

The server has two 9.1gb seagate ultra2 SCSI 10k hot swap disk drives in slots 0 and 1.

I used smartstart ver. 4.7 assisted setup. It ran fine (excepting for the NIC card which has an error in the event log, more on this later).

Using disk manager, looking at drive 0, I notice I have:

Two drives with 8676 mb

Drive 0 :

EISA Utilities 39 mb

Drive C: (partition?) having a capacity of 1545mb (shows as having practically no free space left).

The rest of the drive 0 shows "free space" of 7091mb. Seems to me there was a screen that asked me how much space to allocate..... (I left this allocation at the setting it was defaulted to)

The drive in slot 1 appears as 8676 mb "free space".

The C: partition is practically full, doesn't seem to be an ideal situation so I'd like a recommendation as to how I should have done during Smart Start to set this up (I'll have to run smartstart again using the "erase" option first yes??). During smart start, should I set the space at 8636mb? 1545 + 7091 ?

thanks

James

I guess no one has replied until now.

Well, you want to make your C: partition a bit larger to allow for software installs, etc.

Run the smartstart cd again and then you get the prompt for the C: drive allocation, if you do not need the data that is currently on it, just highlight it and follow the steps on the screen to delete it. I use Win2K (can't remember exactly in NT4) and you just press delete, then L to confirm. Do this until you see all of the drive without any partitions and it should show about 9GB. From there, just go ahead and press enter on the unpartitioned/unallocated 9GB line and let it format it NTFS.

Hopefully this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back