Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq SCSI 80pin drive won't format

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcot13

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
CA
I have a 9.1gb with a 80pin to 68pin adapter and Adaptec 2940U2 - the drive absolutely will NOT format. I have tried Partition Magic 8, Fdisk, Win2000 and XP install etc.....it see's the drive, it formats, but when it reaches 100% it returns with a cannot format drive error.
I can low-level the drive in the SCSI bios, and the drive is seen everywhere. I believe because the problem is that it is a Compaq server drive - and it is used in a PC. The Compaq drives all have a diagnostic bios partition - but I have already removed all partitions.
Any suggestions? Please help me......:)

what part number do you have on the drive itself?
could also be an adapter problem....cable problem.

Need more info. Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

I have tried 4 PC's, 3 different 2940U2 and one 2930U2 card with all diffent cables. I don't believe it is a hardwar erelated problem - I think it is a matter of removing Compaq's diagnostic partition.

The model is Compaq BD00911934, 9.1 GB 10K Wide Ultra2.

Any suggestions on how to format this drive?

Go here and look up some specs....I will have a look when I have some more time....short of it today sadly.

This is a hot plug drive for a server.

I thought you killed off the diag partition already?

I honestly do not know if you can do what you are trying to do with that hardware. Have never tried it.
I will research it some more later on and post back of you find anything first. Kimber

I believe that I have removed the diag part, because I removed all the partitions. But I am assuming that since the drive still cannot be formated, something is still misinterpreting the size of the drive; and it must still be hidden?
It is like the drive is read only , and cannot be written to it. As soon as the formatting is 100%, and attempts to write the tables - it refuses and fails.

Terry

Working on it...
I have a bunch of Proliant manuals here from my Compaq authorized repair days...
Will get back to you soon....unless someone has something to add in the meantime.
Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back