Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant Memory!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHayward

Technical User
Dec 23, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a Compaq Proliant DL360 Rack Server, 2 x 18.2Gb 10k SCSI Drive already installed. But i have 6 x more 18.2Gb 10k SCSI Drives, is there an external piece of hardware where i can use these drives and add the memory to the server, any ideas please??

Merry Christmas!!

Cheers

Philip

Hi

The DL360 is pretty limited and only supports 2 Drives internally, any external which supports 6 drives is going to cost as much or more than your DL360. Have a look around their web site in any case. The DL380's support 6 Drives and is a much better unit.

Regards

David

Try sticking the drives in an external storage works enclosure, something like a SW4214. It holds upto 12 drives and will help later on when and if you decide to get more harddrives. Other than that option there really is nothing you can do because the DL360 G2 is only limited to two harddrives.

I have a dl360 much like yours, and I picked up a proliant storage unit, external raid array, really cheap, with 7 9.1 gig drives in it, on "that auction site"
Works great!

Not sure about the DL360 but on a DL380 you'd also need another RAID controller to support the external array. SA642 or similar, more expensive than the 532 but the 532 is crap.

Neill

ntinlin,

You are 100 percent correct, the external scsi port on the dl360 is only for tape backup units.
I installed a Compaq SMART ARRAY 3200 CONTROLLER for the external raid.
Since parts such as mine, are getting older, they are easy to get, (and very cheap) from a computer recycling place.
I got my controller for 16 dollars from a local shop.
The 3200 is a VERY stable controller, well worth the time it may take to find one :)

Does 3200 have the cutouts for universal 3.3V/5V operation?
I don't have one handy.

Thought it only had 5V and the current DL's only support 3.3V.
Suppose might be an old DL in which case it might have a PCI as well as the PCI-X slots which would take the 3200.

I agree the 3200's are pretty bulletproof. Only ever had 2 go wrong that I can remember and one of those was a failed firmware upgrade. Had a bunch of 2DH's die on me.

Can't stand the 532's though, complete waste of space. People buy them and then wonder why their external drives are so much slower than internals on a 5i.

Battery Backed Write Cache and more cache RAM just doesn't seem to make sense to the bean counters when they compare the cost of a 532 with a 642.

Neill

Mine is an older DL360, it has the dual p3-800s with 1 gig of ecc ram.
Runs SuSE 9.2 in CLI like a champ!
Its a 32 bit pci slot, the 3200 I have has the daughter card (the shop I bought it from, bent the 1st one they were extracting slightly, so they threw that one and the second daugher card in for free , cant beat FREE! )
The Compaq Proliant Storage unit U1 which is connected to it, is working awesum, but I need to find a set of 7-8 (8th one as a spare) larger drives for it. I would like some recommendations on which drives, 50 gig or larger, can be gotten at a good cheap price and would work well in raid 5 configuration in this storage unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back