Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant DL380 G1 Server & W2k3 SBS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughejars

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
GB
Hi all
Sorry if I'm going over old ground here, but I'm having trouble breathing life back into my server. I've read all the forums you've been posting in the past, and amazing myself how in this hi tech age we still cant get a system to boot str8 out the box.
Anyway the problem goes, non system disk error when you boot the DL380
So convention says download the SmartStart and burn a CD, all done, except the server won't boot from the cd or any floppy you create from it.
One message I saw says reset the "maintenance dip switch" and the system will boot from CD, can anyone guide me to this switch as I dont have the manuals to this server.
I'd be grateful to any help and please hurry, I'm down to my last few strands of hair.
Cheers
Phil aka hughejars

Me again
I've found a few other tips posted I'm going to try tomorrow as by the end of this day all I want is cold beer.
Cheers
Phil

I believe the dip switch you are looking for is #6. Set the switch to "on", reconnect power and boot it up. Personally, I don't like to do anything to the system board while there is still power connected, but it's up to you.

The server will go through its reset sequence (remove all media - CD/floppy/usb), and then you can try booting from the SmartStart CD.

What version of the DL380 are you working with? Your post confused me a little. You speak of breahing life back into the server, but also reference getting it to work straight out of the box.

Good Luck

Hi Blister
Thanks for that I'll give it a try later.
Reference "out of the box" I'm refering to MS windows SBS.
And " Breath life into", I had an evaluation version running which booting smooth as silk, but once I got the full version the setup screen told me I had to do a complete re-install, so everything erased and here I am, nothing booting.
I've just tried the "system erase utilty", now I get an error "Configuration not complete, control order not setup" Press F1 or F10.
F1 gives me the setup which windows option, sellect one, system reboots and back to non system disk error
F10 justs goes str8 to the non system disk error.
So lets try something else......

- nothing there yet so give me a few weeks to get something together. This ASP.NET looks like fun.

Ok, got it, now.

Another thing you could try is to pull the drives and try to boot from the SmartStart CD. Then try and do another system erase. At this point you don't care about the data on the disks anyway, correct?

Thats right Blister, nothing on these disks to worry about.
Finally the system is booting from the smartstart CD, (why wont it boot from my Windows CD, I assume this is a bootable CD?) Or is there other settings that need to be configured for this?
In previous forams, it's been advised to select "manual Install" as win2003 isn't an option on the smartstart CD, yet I don't see this option.
Whats my next step, I don't want to lose it now I've got this far.
Cheers

- nothing there yet so give me a few weeks to get something together. This ASP.NET looks like fun.

Put the drives back in and delete the array(s). If the drives are hot plug you should have no problem with putting them back in. If the controller doesn't see the drives, do a refresh from within the ACU on the controller. Save the config after you remove the array. Then recreate it, save again.

After that, go into the system config (F10 option you listed above)and make sure the array controller is selected as the first boot device.

Then boot from the Windows install CD...you may need to get the disk drivers in order for windows to see the drives.

Good Luck.

Thanks again blister, I'll try that tomorrow (Day 3 of this saga), but for now it's down tools for another cold one.
Failing that I have a long winded plan, it involves reinstalling NT4, just blow the dust off the disks, and upgrade from there.
Cheers
Phil

SmartStart - The quick and easy way to configure your server! - ha ha ha, I am sobbing with laughter right now.
Right now it's SmartStart has encountered a serious problem and must reboot your system, after its done an erase of the server.
How can this be so difficult!!!
I've downloaded all the Configuration utilities...
cant load Windows 2k3 try windows NT, wouldnt work, try linux, just froze up, try DOS not even...
This has got to be the most chaotic computer system I have ever tried to get of the ground.
I'm surrounded by floppies and cd's and not one of em can do the business.
If its all the same with everyone this ones going in the bin!!!

Sorry for your lack of positive results. Let us know if you truly are junking the system or your statement was just out of frustration.

It's probably frustration Blister, I've gone over and over the forums followed all the advise, downloaded over a gig of stuff from HP, and I still can't see what I'm doing wrong, SmartStart should kick this system in to gear whatever OS I use, but somethings just not falling in to place, it makes me think theres a fault somewhere but all the config and diagnostics tools say everythings fine. I think Compaq should seriously think about putting proper BIOS chips into their servers rather than putting people through all this.

OK i'm licked.
DOS loaded and configured the scsi drivers, found the drives and 56 gigs, not enough hard drive space, how queer.
NT4 loaded the 4 disks and 4 Compaq support disks,
"Insert CD in CD/rom Drive"
Tried loading Windows 2K - some bullshit Parity memory error.
And every time I tried to load "Other" you can't do it unless you have a floppy disk, well W2K3 doesn't have floppy disks.
Sorry to be a downer but this has been a week of hell with this thing, to come so close to getting it going and then being kicked in the balls just because it won't load any cd other than it's own.
I'm of to Ebay to look for another server, and this time it wont be a compaq!!!

Hi huhejars,

What is your SmartArray controller? Is it an Integrated SmartArray controller (on a small SODIMM-like slot)?
Or are you using a PCI controller (like SA5300, SA3200...)?

I had exactly the same problem with an ProLiant ML370 G1 server some time ago (same M/B as DL380 and CL380), but luck I got it working. The only way to fire it up was to use a SmartArray 5300 controller for the drives, and put CD-ROM drive and DLT on the first embedded SCSI conn on motherboard.

You are having same problems as I had, probabely som shit conflicts between SCSI controllers.

I found a month ago a DL380 G1... worked fine with an integrated SmartArray controller with drive cage on SCSI-1, and IDE CD-ROm drive.

Whatever, try reseating all your DIMMs, procs, controllers...hope it may help.

Today I am running on a Compaq ProLiant ML530 server, I think it is really one of the best servers Compaq ever produced. It is dam heavy (62kg) in a 7U rackmount, but a bulletproof server.

The system uses a Integrated Smart SCSI Controller as you say. The CD rom is the ide slimline.
Next thing to try is stripping the system back to its bare essentials, it's obviously had memory and drive upgrades over the years, failing that I have a plan to put a EIDE hard drive in and see if I can fire up from that instead.
7U!! that's a bit big for me, these DL380's are big enough.
I was looking at a DL320 1U, nice and slimline but just uses 1 IDE drive, when I want RAID5, so if I could find something like that which could run an external raid array, that may work.
Well I'm taking a few days away from it to gather my thoughts.
Cheers
Phil

You can't go wrong with an ML530 - whatever generation. The server fits a maximum of 12 disks (providing you get a server with the 2nd drive cage fitted and a SCSI card that has two internal ports), dual power supplies, and IMO is the mother of all high-end servers.

If you need something much smaller, the DL360's and DL380's are the way to go, especially the DL380 as it allows future expansion should the need arise.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

IMO = in my opinion :)

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Hi TheLad, I hope your not referring to the DL380 as "the way to go" in this forum! I'm still no closer, I even found the <CTRL>+<A> after the F10 prompt to enter the "Advanced features", fat lot a good that did me. I've got my beady eye on a DL320 at the moment and for now I've just had to load my W2K to a self built PC.
Roll on chapter 37 in this saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back