Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant 850R cpu/windows 2000 server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
GB
Hi

I have just installed Windows 2000 server on a Compaq Proliant 850R server. When i go into task manager --> performance i only see one cpu. Any idea what i can do to get the os running on both cpu's ? Or is there any dos floppy disk based tests it can do to establish if i have a hardware fault ?

Cheers

Dalek

Try going into device manager, under computer and check to see if your os is set to single or multiproc. If it is set to single you should be abel to change it without having to re-install.

when your server boots, you see 2 CPU's detected?
if this isn't the case there's somethin' wrong with the hardware.

I'll check back for further updates of this problem

Bart

Can see both cpu's at boot. Changed pc type in os and knackered the os. Had to reinstall :(

I have a 850r and have the same problem. Two CPUs show up on boot, clean install of win 2k, if I change to the MPS Multiprocessor, the system hangs on "starting windows..."
Even the compaq windows diagnostics shows 2 processors detected by hardware, 1 by OS. Did you ever com across a fix?

No.

We have two of these old things and both are exactly the same !

Anybody help ?

Dalek

I know Compaq had a new softpaq and Bios upgrade for windows 2000 on the 850R that was released in mid march. Have you tried this bios upgrade and the new drivers in the softpaq?

I am having an issue with my 850r where I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server and I keep receiving the following error:

File i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded
Set up error code 8192

Has anyone seen this before and do you know a way around it?

Thanks in advance.

You must run the SCU....(system configuration Utility)
If the OS is a new install you must run Smartstart. If you have just added the new CPU AND installed the system partion then you can use that...ie( press F10 ). Also make sure the CPU with the lowest ID is the first physically installed CPU.

I don't have the system partion installed, but have run the SCU and both CPU's are identified. It shows them both as initialized, but will halt on a boot with the mp windows 2000 kernel.

Go to Intels site and they have a DOS prog that will identify the CPU ID's. Make sure the lowest ID is the first processor.

To perform a Multiprocessor upgrade when the computer type in device manager is "Standard PC". The correct kernel to use is the MPS Multiprocessor System. DO NOT USE Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible. The use of this kernel will cause the system to hang during startup. If this occurs it can be fixed by entering the repair console and replace the key kernel files from extraction off the Win2K CD (outlined in MS Q237556). A straight repair will not take the kernel back so this manual method is required.

Some of the new servers come up as the computer type "ACPI Uniprocessor PC". The correct kernel to use in this situation is the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".
ALso, dont forget to check the APIC mode in the system configuration utility, During the reboot, go into the bios settings (F10), press CTRL-A to enable advanced mode and set the APIC mode to "Full Table" (NOT "Full Table Mapped" - although this will work it is the wrong option for Compaq servers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back