Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Proliant 3000 + PCI wireless card = No POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRightRev

Technical User
Dec 10, 2006
US
I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 with dual P3 500's and 2GB of RAM, 3x36GB SCSI and all the bells and whistles.
Unfortunately, I had to give up the GigE card and instead slapped in a Netgear 54mpbs Wireless G PCI card. The thing no longer boots or even posts - the LCD screen doesn't go beyond showing the LCD firmware version and there are no beeps or anything else.
I tried throwing a random soundcard in there to see what would happen and I got the same results...
Is this a case where I have to boot the machine to the SmartStart, configure the card, shutdown, install the card, reboot and pray?
If so, can someone point me in the direction of a good walk-through for installing a new PCI card on the machine? Is there a generic PCI config I can choose and let W2k3 do the rest?

Have you tried different slots for the wireless card? For example if you have tried the card in slots 1-4 and it didn't work, try the card in slots 5-8 (and vice versa).

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Does the server boot if try it without the wireless card installed? Granted you won't have any network connections and may get a bunch of errors.

Boots fine without any cards other than the array controller and the additional SCSI interface card already in the box when I got it.

Is the system bios at the last revision? I know it's an old release, but it may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back