Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq motherboard video card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tietzen

Technical User
Nov 18, 2001
US
I have a Compaq AMD 475 with an 8 Mg video card(proprietory)which has never allowed enrichmend from 480/640. It is out of warranty. As I have open slots can I bypass the Compaq vidoe and install a proper board in a common slot? If so, what capacity will suffice for non-complex video, i.e., no major graphics or games? Thanks Paul Tietzen, Palm Springs.

I suggest you go to the Compaq site and see if there is a flash bios update. I had to do that for my Compaq 5000 series Presario in order to disable the onboard card so I could use another card.

I would look up on Compaq's site for updated video drivers for your machine. An 8 meg video card by all rights should go far beyond 640x480, no matter what quality card it is...

If you're not dealing with graphic work or gaming, the onboard video card really should be all you need - seems like a driver problem that it won't let you get higher resolutions. He ck, a 4meg video card is enough to display 1024x768 w/ 32bit color...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back