Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq ML350 G3 Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpollack

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2005
US
Our server has an onboard scsi controller (Compaq 64Bit/66Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 and another controller (Smart Array 532) connected to a PCI slot. I want to add a non-pluggable drive to the onboard controller about 150mb in size. I know generally speaking SCSI is backward-compatible. He is my situation HP has a 148gb Ultra320 SCSI 10,000 rpm NHP hard drive that is not compatible with my server. Is this because it has an 80 pin connector or for some other reason. Am I right in assuming that if I purchase a seagate, maxtor, or fujitsu that the drive would work well as long as it is Ultra320 with a 68 pin connector? What do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks,
John

Thi si s probably a silly question but...

doesn't the ML350G3 need Hot Plug drives?

Regards: tf1

You can put a SCSI drive on the internal SCSI bus, no resiliance but it works. I have had to do it when someone screwed a server up and the only way to get it back was to install a fresh OS onto another disk which I connected to the internal SCSI controller.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm unsure why it is incompatible. Teh connection must be the problem, but you can get 68-pin to 80-pin SCA converters anyway. I cannot think of any other reason: a SCSI320 drive is just that - a SCSI-320 drive. It should be fully compatible with both the integrated SCSI controller and the SA532.

Regards: tf1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will buy a non-HP scsi drive that has a 68 pin interface as opposed to buying an 80 pin converter.

I have a Proliant ML350 G3 with 6 drives on the internal side of the smart array 532. I would like to expand the array with 2 or 3 more internal drives (HEC SCSI3 3 drive enclosure that fits in two slot bay). The supplied free SCSI connections are to the onboard SCSI adapter and not to the smart array 532 adapter. Will I be able to use this SCSI chain to add to the existing array? Would I be able to use this SCSI chain to build another RAID 5 volume, by connecting three drives to the built-in scsi board? How would I be able to setup the new volume without using the smart array 532 configuration utility or will it also configure the onboard HP SCSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back