Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq losing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecblues

MIS
Aug 16, 1999
CA
We have a lot of Compaqs with Windows 98 on a Novell Network<br>but we have one that is losing hours each morning.&nbsp;&nbsp;Already<br>replaced the motherboard and it is still losing time.<br>Any suggestions?

This is usually due to 1 of 2 things:<br><br>Either the CMOS battery is dying, or the clock crystal is off.<br><br>Since you replaced the motherboard, you replaced both of these items, so the only solution I can see (other than demanding that Compaq get its act together) is to reset the clock on boot.&nbsp;&nbsp;(If the computer is connected to the internet, there are several programs that you can put into Startup to do that.)

I have seen this problem, too.&nbsp;&nbsp;Although I have never tested it, I suspect a problem with the power supply.<br><br>Another option is to get a program called AtomTime (I usually donwload it from shareware.com).&nbsp;&nbsp;This is a nice little shareware program that will sync your clock with the atomic clock when on-line.&nbsp;&nbsp;New version supports dial-up testing so that it will only be active when dial-up is active.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also run it manually insted of in automatic mode.<br><br>Good Luck.<br><br>Jeremy Hannon<br>Brainbench &quot;Most Valuable Professional&quot; for Computer Technicians

I have seen this problem, too.&nbsp;&nbsp;Although I have never tested it, I suspect a problem with the power supply.<br><br>Another option is to get a program called AtomTime (I usually donwload it from shareware.com).&nbsp;&nbsp;This is a nice little shareware program that will sync your clock with the atomic clock when on-line.&nbsp;&nbsp;New version supports dial-up testing so that it will only be active when dial-up is active.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also run it manually insted of in automatic mode.<br><br>Good Luck.<br><br>Jeremy Hannon<br>Brainbench &quot;Most Valuable Professional&quot; for Computer Technicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back