Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Laptop Motherboard Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wassup393

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
AU
Hey!!

Long time no post..
Anyway.. the time for trouble returns. Being an idiot, I spilt a glass of water on my beloved Compaq N800c laptop. Didn't like it very much, so I followed the compaq procedure for disassembly and completely dried it out with a hair dryer. Upon reassembly, nothing still. Would I be right in assuming I've fried the motherboard??
My main question is, is there any standards with compaq motherboards.. like would another model fit?? If that would make one easier to find... any suggestions??

Cheers guys

Sammy

The minerals that are dissolved in water (especially bottled water) don't evaporate when drying with a hair dryer, leaving conducting mineral salts on placed they shouldn't be. Result: shorts everywhere.

My best experience with dealing such a matter is using compressed air to blast the water away WITH THE MINERALS STILL DISSOLVED IN IT. Especially under BGA packages (the chips "without" contacts; they are underneath)

What you could still do is buy demineralised water, or even better: DISTILLED WATER and spray it on the places where any mineral deposits could remain, let the minerals dissolve and then blast the water away with compressed air. For quicker dissolving, pre-heat the mainboard with a hairdryer until it's handwarm. Don't overheat, and use low heat setting on hairdryer. May work, or it may not. I have have had mixed results. If the minerals haven't decayed any critical parts, you might be lucky.

I'd durn sure be trying that suggestion...you have little to lose if the care you took didn't work. It's highly unlikely you'll find another motherboard that will work for you and even more unlikely you'll find it cheap. Only suggestion is to find a "parts only" laptop on an auction site that is precisely the same model as yours.

Best of luck...sincerely hope it works out for you.

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back