Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Insight on a Non-Compaq? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBeeho

MIS
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have a few PC's which are non compaq. They are currently running NT and I would like to install the insight management agent on them, but there is no software to support it. Does anyone know a way around this? Is there another piece of software that will intragrate with CIM? All responces appreciated, thx.

Insight agents were specifically written for Compaq products. The supporting files have hooks into the Compaq Bios and other Compaq specific software.<br>
<br>
There is really nothing to integrate with CIM, the discovery client will only run on a Compaq product... however it will integrate with other management packages, i.e. SMS/OpenView/Tivoli. The collect utility can be used to gather information about the unit and produce a MIF file with it's results. The collect utility will not provide any results on non-Compaq units.<br>
<br>
dxd

We've gotten CIM to run on IBM Netview servers...

dxd is correct in this case. However, I did use to run the CPQ Insight Agents (just the basic stuff) on all my non-compaq servers for one very good reason; CIM would notify me if it could no longer communicate with the server (down server or network). I was also able to monitor NIC status and activity. I simply set up different folders for Compaq and non-Compaq in my CIM. Just the basic stuff here, none of the bells and whistles. -- Devil Dog --

Use DMI or obtain a custom MIB from the non-Compaq vendor. Configure SNMP to report traps to the CIM server. I've used CIM to monitor anything from Compaq, IBM, DELL, to homegrown and other equipment.

Can anyone tell me what NLMs are only needed to run CIM on a non Compaq NetWare server please? -----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;
-----------------------------------------------------

How does the integration with SMS work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back