Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq EVO D500 Compaq Fan error

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptRage61

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
I have a EVO D500 Compaq and I am geting the following error during the post: 514: cpu or chassis fan not detected, and press F1 to continue. The fans do work and I even tried replacing them and I still get the message. No where in the BIOS do I see an option to turn off the fan warning or anything else that might even work. What I assume is that the sensor that detects fan speed and/or temp is bad. Does anyone know how to get this to go away?

If there's nothing in the bios....

Is there a motherboard manual (possible jumper setting?) - probably not with Compaq.

Tried Compaq support?

Has it always done this? (if not, its a bit worrying, as something has obviously gone wrong - and when did it start?)

Any other problems with machine?

What connector do you have the fan plugged into? Which type of D500 do you have?

It is the 3 pin connector, there are 2 connectors on the board one for cpu and one for a case fan, and both are hooked up. It is just the d500 DT, I just tried downloading the new BIOS to see if there is anything in there. Compaq support does not know anything. It always does this on startup, other wise the machine works good.

CaptRage61 - so this machine has always done this while you've had it? spec for machine you've mentioned is several years old - so have you had this problem for several years, or is machine a recent acquisition? I'm trying to establish if this behaviour has started since you've been using machine or not. If it has, when did it start, and did you make any changes around that time. If its recent acquisition and always had this problem, presumably you've spoken to previous owner. If its been happening for years and you've had machine from new, why didn't you get it fixed under warranty.

Point is - you can't easily resolve issues in a vacuum - you need evidence of what's happened. You've not provided that, so there's no obvious suggestion.

I just recently got this machine about a week ago and since I have had it it stated doing this. My question is does anyone know how to disable this warning or anything I could try to make it go away.

Download and run the "Speedfan" program, to see what the rpm is of the fans. It's possible that your fans ARE running, but not fast enough to make the sensors happy. I use a Thermaltake temperarue controlled fan assembly, and when the system is cold, the fan turns slower than when the system is hot. You may have to replace the CPU fan with a "manual speed control" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back