Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Destktop not booting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumRavenXP

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
Out of the blue, Compaq pc is hanging on the Compaq startup screen, I'm not familiar w/ compaq and I'm not hearing any beep codes indicating how far POST got, (It's not mine so I don't even know if beep codes can be heard to begin with)I just want to know how far into the boot up process does the Compaq screen start and stop.

the Compaq 'Splash' screen appears just before the OS tries to log on, if passwords are enabled the next step is to select the user and enter their password, if not the next step is logging on.

I had this problem on a compaq laptop, it was getting to the account screen. I completed a repair install to fix it. There are other options you could try first such as fixboot etc. from the console but these rarely work in my exp. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that's required for evil to suceed is for good men to do nothing.

Well it just hangs on the compaq splash, the only thing i can think of is using a boot disk if that doesn't work then what?

Boot Disk, What OS are you running ?

I am only familiar with repairing an XP installation, i used to clean install whenever anything went wrong with 98 or ME.

If you are running an XP installation, then completing a repair install will keep your files. Best to try last known good and safe mode before you bother with this though..

If you are running an NTFS partition you will need to get a copy of NTFSDOS in order to backup your files from DOS.

I will wait to hear your OS and file system before any further advice. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.

you will not hear any beeps on boot up unless it has been upgraded; flash the bios, upgrade all drivers. my compaq never gave a beep code on boot up untill i flashed the bios. have you tried the boot disk. have you seen the blinking cursor in the upper left or upper right. compaq now has tech support for compaq users even out of warranty or maybe they just remember me from many attempts to acquire a motherboard manual, oh well good luck. PEARL LOL

If the Compaq screen is not going away, then the boot disk will not work because the OS does not load next, the system is not done booting up.

After the Compaq screen the system will check the drives (floppy and CD, if configured) for disks.

Do any of the drive lights flash?
Do you hear the fan running?
Do you hear any noises?

Try this:

Unplug the PC
Open the PC up.
Remove the CMOS battery for about an hour
Put the battery back in
Power the system up
Go to setup or click F10 (I belive) to continue

Hopefully this will work, but if not try removing the cards in the back of the machine and powering uo.

Then put the video card back in and power up again.
If this works, add one card at a time and see if it is one of the cards

You can also try removing some of the memory (just leave one stick in) and try powering up.

It is a peice of hardware that is stoping the boot cycle, but the question is, what is it.

Since you don't get an invalid boot drive, it is probably not the hard drive.

But check all your conectors in the box as well.

Good luck!
CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Ah think we may have been talking at cross purposes, i was talking about the compaq 'windows boot screen' i think from the other posts you are talking about the compaq Boot Image, if this is so, then:

It has nto even cheked the drives yet, it is literally just turned on not even checked the memory. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.

lol it was a keyboard problem. . . i noticed it when i used the keyboard on my other 2 computers and they halted(WITH ERROR MESSESGES), the compaq didn't give out any error codes or beeps so i just spend hours trouble shooting memory, pci cards etc. . .oh well lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back