Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq Armada 1590DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

agedoorn

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
BE
Hi,
By accident I removed the partitions on the HD with the intention to implement FAT32 in stead of FAT16.
I suppose the FD was disabled to boot.
Now I can't start the laptop anymore. The FD doesn't accept a bootable diskette and the CDreader doesn't boot from a bootable CD.
I thought I could enter into CMOS with F10 / F12... to reactivate the FD. This doesnt work!
Neither we have the Quick Restore CD.

Any idea ????

Wim

One thing you want to try is resetting CMOS a restoring the BIOS defaults.

To do this...

Power off computer
Hold down the "FN" key and then power on computer
While holding the "FN" key start tapping the "F11" key.

If you hit the sequence correctly, the computer will reset and start the boot process again...then you can release the keys.

If you are prompted to save changes by pressing F1, do so.

Now see if you can boot to floppy.

If you still can't, another alternative is to put a hard drive from another 1500 into this laptop so you can get into the BIOS to make the change...or take this drive to another 1500 and install the diagnostics partition so you can get back in the BIOS setup.

Note - The "FN" & "F11" key sequence as mentioned above will not work if there is a BIOS setup password.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Indeed, thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Everything OK now!

Wim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back