Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq 5wv254 boot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

imquazar

MIS
Sep 23, 2003
US
Hello, This is insane!

I have a compaq 5wv254 (5002US) which is an 800mhz AMD, with WinXP. When I replaced the video card (upgrade) with an ATI RAGE 128 32mb AGP card, the PC began this routine of not showing any video until it actually gets up into WinXP (Hal Init?) but I'm not able to see the first boot screens, or the bios at all..

I've tried the CMOS reset/clear, and when I get up into Windows, I see that the time has been set to 1:00 so I know that the CMOS clear worked.. I'm not sure what else I could try. I don't believe this is a driver issue because it's happening before it gets into Windows.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
-IQ

imquazar,
The old display adapter drivers might be getting in the way.

Boot into safe mode.
Go to device manager, display adapter and uninstall the original display adapter. Reboot.

Thank you both for the response. I wound up finding another video card which was 64mb instead of 32mb, so I swapped, and the problem is resolved.

This PC doesn't have the integrated video, but that's what I thought at first when I switched the video card, and it started doing this.. I went back and looked and nope, no mobo video. that's kinda what caused me to post this message! :)

As for the alternate display driver... Good point! I'll go and look at that. Thanks!

-IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back