Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq 1850r & Mandrake 9.1 freeze...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dx84crx

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
I'm installing Mandrake 9.1 on a Compaq 1850r, I've got 2 9GB hard drives running off one port of the onboard scsi controller, and 5 more running off the other port in a Compaq F1 array.

When I install Mandrake it will complete the install till just after it asks if I want to get the updates, I tell it no because I'm not connecting it to the internet. I've cycled power and it will boot up after I tell it to clean up because of not shutting down correctly. It just acts funny after, like Mysql doesn't run and a couple of other things..but I'm able to see the default webpage from another PC on my network.

Just wondering if someone knows why it might be freezing up there...

such is life...

I will provide my experience with installing RH 7.3 on an 1850R, maybe it will help.

After hanging during device probing during install, I found that the onboard NIC was screwing up anaconda ( or kudzu, I forget). I had to disable the NIC from BIOS to get the install to complete and then re-enable it once the box was running.

I did use a Compaq 2DH RAID controller, instead of the on-board SCSI controllers for the drives. Never had a problem there.

My point of my story is to maybe pull off the F1 channel or otherwise disable some stuff to get the system to stablize and then see if there's a fix for your issue.

COMPAQ/HP may have BIOS/firmware fixes for your gear that you should consider too.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Thanks for the help...I saw the other posts about what you stated was just wondering if it would be the same for Mandrake... I'll try that when I get home...

such is life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back