Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

companyweb issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

specktur

Programmer
Jun 17, 2005
US
Good evening,

I have gotten very good answers from this forum, and I really appreciate all those who help.

Ok now on to my problem.
- doesn't function on client machines unless there is a vpn connection open to the server.
While on the server it works. But if I logon to a client pc it doesn't work. By fluke I found that by opening a VPN connection to the server then opening it works. This includes All users and All client machines.
Thanks,
Sean

I am a little bit confuse with your question but if you are hosting a website on your network you need to have a public ip, and domain name register like microsoft.com to be able to connect from the internet.

Bordetas: MCSA/MCSE Security (only on paper) ;-P

No, No, I'm just looking for it to serve the internal clients.

More info:
If I give the client pc a static address with the dns pointing to my server ip - I get a connection to If I switch back to DHCP then I lose it again. So it sounds like a DNS Issue I just don't know how to resolve it.

Thanks,
Sean

specktur,

Add a new Alias(CNAME) record for 'companyweb' in your forward lookup zone in the DNS Console.

John

Is the firewall feature of Windows Server 2003 SP-1 enabled on the server?

Does the server have multiple NIC's? Is the website bound to the IP address of the "outside" NIC?

Can you access the website if you disable RRAS on the server?

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Thank you everybody for the help.

Believe it or not it was a DHCP issue.
I must have setup the scope wrong the first time I did it.
After I expierenced a connectivity problem with a pc I deleted my existing DHCP scope and made a new one. Once that was complete and all the clients got a new lease everything started to work.

Thanks again,
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back