Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company web on sbs2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

changed2

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2004
GB
we have a 2003 sbs server on which i have started to set up the companyweb.

The problem is that i can not see this from any of the workstations on the network.

I keep being told it's because we have a misture of xp(home) and ME on the workstations and that cause they will not join a domain that is why.

Is this the case?

Also if so, how come i can input the servers IP and get the menu page with...
My Company's Internal Web Site
Network Configuration Wizard
Remote Web Workplace
Information and answers

when you click on the company web all i get is the page can not be displayed error..

help!!

not sure the problem. But ca all computers open the web by using iP? If yes, this may be a name resulotion issue.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

no. you can log on to the server by IP and you get the 'Welcome to Windows Small Business Server 2003' screen, but you can not acces the companyweb, all you get is 'page can not be displayed'

I'm having a similar issue as we speak.

I can view the files through IE if I type in the IP but not if I type in the domain Controller's name like so:
Strange.

I want to active the company web also but first things first me thinks [colorface]

-----------------------
Michael Mason
Arras People
-----------------------

OK here we go as a guess your clients are HOME editions and as such cannot join the domain completely.make the user (thru add user wizard) a mobile user and install conection manager to make a vpn back to server . is should work (tho i havent tried it)

No DG, that's the strange thing.

I'm running 2003 SBS as DC and all clients are on XP Pro.

If I type in I get nothing on the client but if I substitute servername with the server's IP it works fine.

Very strange me thinks.

-----------------------
Michael Mason
Arras People
-----------------------

No, I used the add user option in the Server Management dialog, I then added the Clients seperately, although for another test client I added the PC when the wizard prompted.

The one that's causing the issue was added manually but the wizard still asked the same questions.

I think the problem may lye at the IIS level but as I have never configured a 2003 server before I am unsure.

Any thoughts...?

-----------------------
Michael Mason
Arras People
-----------------------

Don't ask how - I ain't got a clue but all of a sudden I can view the main web through However...

Still unable to view
I tried publishing the Intranet files there to no avail. I even loaded them locally, de-installed and re-installed FP extensions but am unable to view
Any ideas...?

-----------------------
Michael Mason
Arras People
-----------------------

Changed.

I assume you are doing this from "behind" the firewall. In which case, you shouldn't be challenged by the server for authentication.

Check the permissions on the folder "companyweb" through Server Management, it should be set to users on the domain.

-----------------------
Michael Mason
Arras People
-----------------------

Ensure that the DNS server IP that the client is using is the server that is located on.

If the DNS server IP for the client points directly outside the LAN then the client will not be able to get to without using the server name.

Check the DHCP settings and add the server IP address as the top level DNS IP with the ISP DNS IPs as second, third...and so on and it should work fine.

What is now proved was once only imagined -Aristotle

Guys,

This has nothing to do with the type of client, though it is true that XP Home can't join the domain, IE works the same. You will get bit by your home version since no policies can get applied and you won't be able to take advantage of the centralized security model. I would strongly recommend replacing them.

Regarding Companyweb, this is a two step process.

First, in IIS you need to set up the host header for company web for port 80 to avoid being directed to the default web page. Double click the companyweb site. Click the advanced button next to the IP Address drop down. Click Add and type Companyweb. Set the port to 80. Click Add again and put Companyweb.FQDN example: companyweb.mycompany.com or companyweb.mycompany.local.

Second you need to create a DNS A record for CompanyWeb and give it the server IP.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back