Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company to assist in upgrade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrader

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2004
AU

We are looking at doing an upgrade in the next 12 months and have heard that there are now companies apart from Mincom who can assist in this. Has anyone used any of them and what where they like?

Don't go there. Tried it last year (I'll save the blushes of the cowboys who we engaged with) and had the embarrassment of having to call in Mincom to clean up the mess. We've been approached by a few of these ex-Mincom’ers, but they just don’t have the up-to-date knowledge and access to the right people.

There are, but it might not be appropriate to post them in this forum...

Glen Colbert
gcolbert@rag-american.com

If you are upgrading you probably have people within your organization that have the real insight into what you need. You may want to consider hiring 'consultants' to free up your own resources so that your own internal experts can apply their best efforts on the real business impacts of the upgrade.

Glen Colbert
gcolbert@rag-american.com

I worked as a Mincom client for a BHP Billiton company in Chile. After this I was working in Mincom as a Senior Consultant.

My personal opinion is that some companies ( Mincom included ) look the version upgrade as a possibility of a good business, and not as a real benefit for a client.

If you are planning a version upgrade, it means that your company have enough maturity and knowledge in the use of MIMS/ELLIPSE. This means that some of your users can work in a business improvement as part of the version upgrade project together with other consultants selected, from the market, by your company.

An advice: Be the real manager in your upgrade project and select what is the best people needed by your organisation. Also try to maintain the focus of the upgrade in the business, and not in the technology.

Heriberto Salort

I am the CEO of COSOL.( an organisation focused on streamlining business processes for capital intensive organisations - specifically mining. Having extensive line management experience in global mining operations and personally having been on the implementation side, I concur with the sound comments from Jose and Heriberto. We are ERP agnostic and work with both MIMS/Ellipse and SAP. We have recently completed an upgrade for a large MIMS/Ellipse client in PNG where the focus has been on getting the business process aligned to best support the business. The techncial upgrade and Chart of Accounts conversion while critical, formed only a part of the overall project charter - ie: providing a sound platform for further business improvement - the main game. Involvement and partnering with the key business representives throughout is a must. As an organisation you should decided on your business outcomes and then select the best team (combination of internal /external) and the best approach to deliver success.

Hi Upgrader,

I work for a large international company that has considerable experience in MIMS and Ellipse upgrades. We have even partnerd with Mincom when required and this has also been successful. We've been supporting MIMS and Ellipse systems for many years (~12) and our customers include our own organisation, large minerals companies and government departments.

Let me know if you need more information. Just include your email address in your post.

Our company has been involved in several upgrades and may be able to answer some of the questions you have about going through an upgrade without using Mincom consultants(this is not a sales pitch!) Visit our website for more information:

Kmiller ( and others)

I would be very interested in any details you can provide. My email address is goingtoellipse@hotmail.com

After 12 years working through the world on MIMS and ELlipse implementations there casn be no doubt in my mind that the only way to ensure a succesful and beneficial upgrade is to do so in concert with Mincom.

I do not work with Mincom, nor am I contracted to them but the number of disaster stories worldwide from companies that I have had to go and rescue from the mess that ex-Mincom cponsultants have left them in is truly frightening.

If you are going to upgrade to Ellipse, do so with Mincom. They are leaders in the region for good reason.

Oz...

Dear All,

Another consideration. (And again I am not directly involved with Mincom nor am I contracted to them)

When third party consulting firms get involved it is for business generation only. More often than not they represent and are able to work on or with a number of different systems and are able to change their recomendations as it suits them commercially.

There is also a strong issue, which has never been challenged as I know, regarding the use of comercially sensitive or copyrighted information by third parties. I am not accusing anyone here, because I know some very reputable third parties within this area, however I also know of some shady characters.

Mincom is, therefore, more disposed to create long term lasting relationships through the adequate implementation and optimization of their products to ensure strong benefits and long term solutions. This is standard comercial sense within the EAM induatry I would have thought.

Oz...

Sadly in our case, that was not a very pleasant experience, went for the cheaper option, employed a great bunch of guys, got 3/4 way through the project and then realised they hadn't a clue about performance, data structures and technology/functional advances in the release we were taking. Had to buy our way out of the problem by getting in the guys who know their stuff in. An open and frank discussion with Mincom re budgets has helped us ever since – Mincom are around to stay.

MIMSAdmin

Hi Upgrader,

Lots of good advice here. I have been involved in all of the processes being spoken about. I have worked for Mincom, third party organisations and privately during both implementations and upgrades and can agree with Ronfreddo and others. The best chance of success is to use a combination of each. Mincom, whilst the product developer, do not necessarily have the best or strongest skills in understanding business process requirements, particularly for an upgrade. Third parties may be in it for business development but have a wealth of industry and business experience that Mincom may not be in possession of.

At the end of the day, just make sure that you are getting the best skills you can and manage your project closely.

Bernief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back