Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

company instant messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompom

Technical User
Dec 4, 2006
GB
hi,

apologies if this is the wrong forum for this,
can anyone recommend an instant messenger for use within a company network?

is it a good idea to have it server based?

so far i have found

Softros LAN Messenger
Ice Inside LAN Office Messenger

are these any good?

thanks in advance

We use POD by MessageLabs. No complaints, easy to set up, easy to control. You can allow (or not allow) AIM, Yahoo and MSN messenger as well as an internal messenger system. We've been using it about 6 or 8 months now and have no complaints at all about it. Since I work for a financial company we are required to log every IM so this does it local to the PC as well as to a server. You can block all IM clients at your firewall and use only POD, which is nice since you can control it. Dont want anyone using MSN just put a check mark in the web interface and it blocks it.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

I used IRC on a local server at my last company.

thanks for your replies - wish i could afford the message
pal!

Is there a good alternative to NET SEND for Intranet messaging
thread779-1075637

I have installed the Openfire chat server on our internal network. Each client installs the Spark client for communication. It's all free, Windows based and utilizes the jabber protocol. I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back