Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Companion Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper222

Vendor
Mar 31, 2003
US
I have been BLESSED with the opportunity to help repair a companion site. I have been told that they have about 20 "Antennas" and even if you are in close proximity to an antenna you can have a dropped or very very poor call quality. Over the phone I had them use two phones and try to look at the antenna units for a red light showing that both "channels" were being used. Never happen. Well now I find out that in this particular area on the perimiter of the building there is about three antennas per floor/ 3 floors/ overlapping. So I don't know which one I might be pulling off of so I can find out which unit is bad or has very poor transmission distance. Is there anything short of turning off all but one antenna at a time and testing?? Man this is frustrating.

I have a system with 10 base stations and recently one of them decided to stop working properly. Unfortunately the little green light on the side said it was working and the control system also said it was ok.

I eventually pinned it down using the signal strength checker which is on the menu of a Nortel DECT C4040 handset. That allowed me to find the duff one by walking around watching the phone (and ignoring all the strange looks I got) to see the strength in any area. That may be your only way to really track down which station(s) is(are) causing the problem.

Not sure what other phones have that strength meter, but hope this helps a bit

Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back