Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting mailboxes on server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1lby

MIS
Oct 1, 2001
GB
Hi,
Is there a way of compacting mailboxes on the server?
I've got users with large mailboxes (as shown using Exchange Service Manager, Mailboxes). After deleting unwanted content (large emails with big attachments) I expected the mailbox sizes to go down in size but they didn't........
I've worked out that mailbox sizes go up as more content is added to users mailbox but the sizes DONT go down when content is removed........
Any clues?

Rgds

PhilB

Hey Phil, offline defrag is the only way to compact the info store...you running into disk space issues?

hi guys,
I have an Exchange 2k server with a single Information Store,
Is there a way I can purge individual mail boxes or I'll have to do it for the entire store.

The problem is delivery restrictions have been set for users, but some of them had content which were already larger than the quota set now; so they are having problems receiving ar sending mail..

Any help??

Thank you.

Greenseed, please mak a seperate post for your question, this is confusing for others. [sub]If the answer is here, mark it, others can benefit from it too. If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

OK. Offline defrag. Thats fine. I'll do it at night.

But does anyone know how I kick in an offline defrag??...

And yes, disk space is getting a little tight - wont cause any problems for another 3 months or so (estimated) but at some stage we will start running out - and I've pruned some users mailboxes (taken down from some from 2GB to 100MB by removing all those attachments in 'sent items'.

Rgds

While you are at it, restrict the space for the users, that will keep your disks save. [sub]If the answer is here, Mark it, others can benefit from it too. If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Marc
[/sub]

But does anyone know how I kick in an offline defrag??...

And yes, disk space is getting a little tight - wont cause any problems for another 3 months or so (estimated) but at some stage we will start running out - and I've pruned some users mailboxes (taken down from some from 2GB to 100MB by removing all those attachments in 'sent items'.

Rgds

This is one I'm interested in.

I've printed off the relevant info, can anyone say roughly what the downtime would be for a defrag of this sort? I'm looking at around 7.5Gb

TobyT

Not really, it is not only the size that matters ;-)
There is also CPU speed, processes, ram, ...
Test it during off-time, a WE or so

Marc [santa2]
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]
Don't forget to shop @ for Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back