Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compact / Repair / Backup over network....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirkenj

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
I am trying to figure out the best way to:
1. Check nightly to see if my databases are opened
2. If not, run Compact / Repair on front-ends and backend
3. Back up folder on newtork drive to my local disk
4. Create a log with status...success / error / etc.

I'm using a network with fairly strict security settings (Military), and need to be able to leave my computer running with a database or program opened that will call the routine on a timer event.

Also, I have a bunch of different databases, some Access 97, some 2000, so I will probably need to run it on either two machines, or let Access 2000 run all.

Finally, can anyone tell me why the .ldb files for a database will still exist on a network drive even after all users have logged off? Not a problem, just curious.....

LDBs hang around because someone exited the system in an unusal way. You can just delete it.

Check out the CompactDatabase method for help on you other questions.

We had similar needs where I work, and what we did is purchase the Total Access Suite for Access 97, which included Total Access Manager. This is basically a scheduler, which will fire a series of commands at a specific time.

Right now, I have it set up two two schedules - daily and weekly. Daily it repairs one database, copies that database to two other locations (one on the same server, one on a different server), run a little VB program I wrote that puts a date/time stamp into a specific text file, and copies that text file to the other server. This way, I can tell the process worked by checking the logs, and the users can tell by checking the text file.

Weekly, I have it compacting every database on the system.

There is a version of the software for Access 2000, and maybe even 2002.

There are probably other ways to do this, but this was simple. There are a number of other tools in the Suite as well, which have proved useful.

-- Zyrilia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back