Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compact ics 4x8 or 8x16? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardybob

Technical User
Jul 17, 2008
US
i have a used ics that has 2 DS cards in it. can i assume that it is upgraded to 8x16? what is the easiest way to determine if it has 16 stations without wiring up? thanks.

Run the "NT" number from the software card thru Google and see whether it is restricted or expanded. Sometimes the label will show a text line alerting you to 4x8 or restricted configuration, but running the NT number is the cleanest way to go, without connecting the unit.

Since you can key code CICS software you need to get the system version number under Maintenance in Config programming....require you to hooup a phone.

Then post here or look in our FAQs.

This will determine if you have AA, IRAD, 4X8 or 8X16.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

thanks, guys. i haven't wired up the system yet so will do that and get the numbers. i thought i had seen something about adding a DS card where it automatically upped the station configuration as well, but maybe not.

Ok. Running 30mnf04 NAT, NT7B64CP software, 5.04 SW, and from what i can tell i would need a NTBB04GA-93 expansion station card in order to get the 16 stations. does this sound about right to you guys? thanks.

my chart shows 4.0 standard Irad on, thus it should have 16 digital ports, another quick way is to plug your phone on pin 16 off your Amphenol cable
good luck

gosh darn, you're making it too easy. i need to come up with something harder. i've been working on the norstars for over a year now, but i'm very weak on converting the software versions into layman terms. i thought 4.0 std ics would be 8 ports. how does the expansion card figure into the equation?

mp or mo are restricted, I've changed cards from one system to another, seem to work, the sofware is what drives it and if you add the 8 port expansion port on what you have then you now have 24 ports, lol

thanks, sam173. that makes a little more sense. i wasn't aware the cics could be upgraded to 24 station ports total..

CICS is typically 8 lines by 16 stations. Restricted software only allows 4 x 8. Expansion card will up to 8 x 24 max.

this is becoming more clear as time goes on. that's what i never understood. thought all basic ics's were 4x8. thanks to all.

There is no typical or basic....they come in 3 flavors depending on size of company.

4X8 restricted software
8X16 expanded software
8X24 expanded sofware plus 8 port exp card

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

We sold the 4X8's faster then the expanded software because most of the purchasers were smaller commpanies....could be same with other vendors a few years back.
Those that expanded got the key code purchased, so now when you go in to get the SP code it looks like a 8X16 but it realy started as a 4X8.

These days there is almost neither to purchase, and a lot are counterfeit as well.

Nortel said almost a year ago they would stop production last month, this is true but what they didnt say is they had already stopped mass production long ago and has been only production on demand the last year.

I dont think it matters what is typical or basic, there was/is 3 ways to sell/install your setup...period.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

big star for curlycord updating the FAQs. i looked and even i can figure out what i have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back