Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

comp starts half way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hombner

Technical User
Dec 26, 2003
US
i took the power supply of out my comp and put it in another and then i put that same power supply back into my comp and now im having probs with comp.when i turn it on the hard drive wont turn on, so i then check the power supply and everything on it works fine. i then take the gray ribbon cable from my hard drive and detach it, leaving the hd only with a power cord. now if i turn it on i hear the hard drive turn on.someone told me that by doing what i did with the power supply that i inadverdantly fried my motherboard. is this true, if not then what is wrong with my compy?

Homber
No that wouldn't fry the motherboard!
Try removing and refitting the main power plug to motherboard.
Then if it still doesn't boot reset the cmos with the jumper next to the button battery, you will have to reset the bios afterwards.
Reseat your memory modules and graphics card if you have one.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

It doesn't make sense that the drive doesn't spin up with the IDE cable plugged in, unless you have the cable plugged in backwards, and that is somehow preventing the hard drive from powering on. The cable should be plugged in so the stripe on the side of it is nearest the power connector.

When you removed the power supply, you had to detach the hard drive power connector. Hopefully removing that did not cause a problem with the drive. If you have the IDE cable installed properly and the drive doesn't spin up, try another drive.

paparazi i just pulled the battery out to reset my cmos a couple days ago... is there a different way to do it? freestone is right check to make sure your ide ribbon is plugged in right. one other thing to check is go to your setup or bios and look under ide devices and see what it says for your primary master ide. might be something in there worth tweakin

Is this an ATX power supply? On the old stye PS, it was possible to plug the power plugs wrong on the motherboard.
As for pulling the battery, it's easier to reset the BIOS jumper (if you have one). Did you accidently plug the IDE data cable into the wrong IDE port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back