Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

comp restarts instead of shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDMO

MIS
Aug 13, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a gateway system running windows 98. When I go to start and click shutdown the computer always restarts. The only way I can turn it off is by the power button. Any clues on what might be causing this?

This started with the installation of some AOL software if that helps.

Thx,
Ryan

It maybe to do with AOL (It wouldn't surprise me, their software tries to take over the running of a computer for my liking)or may be not.

It could be a spyware prog or a virus.

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and have a look at what programs are running.

Close any that refer to AOL.

Then shut it down, if it shut downs OK, then you have found the problem.

If not, continue to close programs and repeat. Once you have found the program that causes the bother.

Report back once you have found the problem program and depending on what it is, various courses of action may need to be taken.

I would check 2 other areas as well 1) when you go to shut down make sure that restart is not set by default. Also check you documentation to the modem/nic card. Gateway is notorious for using won nic/modem cards (wake on net)

xchefpeter
A+N+MCP
Pending MCSA>MCSE>CCNA
----------------------------------
I never know my limitations until I exceed them

I was working on a friends computer that was all messed up. I thought I had it completed when low and behold I too had this problem. She is an AOL user (I think AOL is my Nemisis) and I had to reinstall it. After following the suggestions of shutting down individual programs, I found that the AOL Companion is the culprit. At this point I haven't figured a way to make Companion run and to correct the shutdown issue. I would think that I am not the only one with this problem but of course there are no FAQs on this at the AOL site. Any suggestions would be appreciated (besides hooking her up to another ISP).

Trisha

cheer,

run msconfig command in windows strat - run menu, then go to last tab, check disable fast shutdown option is selected if selected remove tik,

regards,

umang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back