Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commvault versus HP Data Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcservetherapy

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
GB
Hi, has anyone got any comparisons of Commvault versus HP Data Protector ?

Hi

I don't have anything specific about commvault and HP data protector - I'm a contractor mainly with netbackup skills but have seen all the rest of the tools in my time.

I think Data Protector was called omniback and I haven't used that since 1999-2000 it was unix style tool like netbackup, but was a lot cheaper - mainly used on HP-UX sites but was moving into windows.

So you'll probably have to look around to see if Data Protector has moved on.

However I do like a couple of things about commvault galaxy:

The reporting function, you can save the reports away, schedule them and have them arrive in your inbox in colour coded HTML. This is of particular interest as I make a living writing this stuff from complex netbackup command lines!

The backup to disk and copy to tape feature is easy to use.

I'm used to doing lots of script work for disk to tape copies.

Data Protector is still around. Overall, note that DP is only backup, CommVault is a solution with migration, backup, archiving, snapshot management, etc from a single interface. CV is easier to use and much more reporting capabilities

Think about QNET etc.....Managent loves to see only charts etc....looks great

Backupster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back