Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CommVault backups die EVERY day

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJarman

MIS
Oct 31, 2003
US
I had this problem awhile back, but figured out that I didn't have enough mag space for the backups to complete. SO, I added a SAN drive with 400GB of room -- to the previous 200GB of HDD mag storage.

Afterwards, changed some of the agents to point to the new Storage Policy (for the SAN).

Unfortunately, the problem has not been resolved. I still have to go into CommVault EVERY day, massage the old backups out, complete manual Data Aging, kill a few 10%-30% completed jobs -- and then restart the essential jobs.

"NO RESOURCES" is the primary message I see in the CVAdmin Console.

It's a pain. Could anyone give me advice on what to do next?

CommVault Galaxy 6.x
Windows Server 2003
6 - 38.4GB drives in server (Primary)
400GB LUN on SAN (Primary)
Certance LTO (8 Tape) Library (Aux & DR Backups)

Which retention criteria did you setup in the Primary Copy of your Storage Policy. Also what schedules do you run (full or incremental) ?

Is this what you're looking for Cyklops?

E:\MagneticLibraryE 0.00 69243.13 MasterBackupPolicy Primary Primary Retention Cycles 0 Retention Days 7
F:\MagneticLibraryF 0.00 69858.96 MasterBackupPolicy Primary Primary Retention Cycles0 Retention Days 7
G:\MagneticLibraryG 0.00 45542.18 MasterBackupPolicy Primary Primary Retention Cycles0 Retention Days 7
I:\MagneticLibraryI 0.00 69504.46 MasterBackupPolicy Primary Primary Retention Cycles0 Retention Days 7
\\Svr\CommVault-MagLib 0.00 7183.05 SAN1(commvault) Primary Primary Retention Cycles 1 Retention Days 7

Oops... forgot to add the Backup Type. We use FULL on everything except SQL backups -- one FULL and then Incrementals.

looks like you have a bottleneck somewhere...how many streams have you set on your Storage Policies?

Seen this before....was because too many streams were set

Am I reading it correctly..you have set the retention to 7 days 0 cycles on the maglibs? If your using Fulls every day then it should be set to 7 days 7 cycles

Am I reading it correctly..you have set the retention to 7 days 0 cycles on the maglibs? If your using Fulls every day then it should be set to 7 days 7 cycles"

If you want these retained for 1 week, why would you do 7 Day / 7 Cycle retention? Galaxy does not even start counting days until cycles are complete with a cycle being 1 full backup to another full backups. So 7/7 with fulls every night would actually have you retaining backups for 2 weeks.

On another note, it used to be that you could not set cycles to 0. Has this changed? It would be great news for us if that is the case and I have just shot off an e-mail to CV to ask.

ooppssss just seen this...meant to put 7 days 1 cycle.

Will teach me to read my posts through before submiting ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back