Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Community String Changes Pushed to Multiple Switches 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

exprog

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2003
US
I am trying to figure out how to change the rw community string to 75+ switches from within ciscoworks 2k. Can anyone out there please help.

I don't know about CW2K but you can do it with a telnet script. You can record the command to change it and then replay it for all your switches...
Many telnet applications support this!

You can use netconfig (part of RME) to do this task. Very simple to do, just be careful since netconfig does not validate your configuration for context (it doesn't even verify the config command is valid) NOR does it do any integrity checking to see if you are not making a major bone-head move. Use with caution, however, changing the community strings is something you can recover from if you do it incorrectly. Suggestion, test with a few switches as a pilot

netconfig dose have some templates for SNMP that help to minimise configuration mistakes. But I would also suggest a test on a device you can easily power cycle in case it goes wrong. Also give netconfig a chance (it can take 15 mins before it appears to run a job)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back