Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communications with AIX4.3.3 dropped??!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I have a customer who has an AIX 4.3.3 Samba server, NT4 PDC and a Windows 2000 Terminal Server. Today the AIX machine lost all communications with the two NT machines. No samba connection, hell I could not even ping the AIX box. The AIX box could not ping the 2 NT machines. All machines COULD ping EVERYONE else. Just not each other. I rebooted the AIX machine and all was ok in the world. My question is what happened? Any Ideas? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

First - check cables
Second
entstat -dt ent0

ifconfig en0 detach
ifconfig en0 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add 0 10.1.1.1

or simply reboot

Also try

errpt

Look for Bad Things. It would be hard to figure out what went wrong after the reboot. Perhaps take a snap and if it happens again check for missing daemons or such. Could have even been an admin with fat fingers. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Yegolev,

what do you mean by snap? I've had that problem before and a reboot restores but if there is a way to figure out what has happened, i'm all ears.

Are you talking about ps -ef and looking for dropped daemons?

thanks.

The simple answer is to record all system info when the machine is working, gives you something to compare to when it breaks. /usr/sbin/snap does a lot of this. Every couple of months we do a `/usr/sbin/snap -a -d /tmp/snap`.

Check your man on snap, I only read the reports after something gets hosed so I am not an expert on it. If it does not capture your info, you can at least dump some stuff to text files. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

You might want to check what maintenance level you are at. We have had TCP/IP problems when we are below ML 7 or 8 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back